Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Why do people put frag racks in a dt

sna66

I can't wrap my head around this, whats the purpose? I think that a tank should look like you are looking at an actual coral reef the way mother nature intended, no tank equipment visible, no little divers or mermaids, no frag racks. Is it that you want to buy a small frag and grow it out then attach it to the rock? can't you just buy a big coral?

Well if coral is overgrowing the tank and you don't have a frag tank... you would put them where? the garbage?

Putting them on frag racks if it is a NEW coral makes it much easier to acclimate them to light. You can start the rack low in the tank and move it up over the coarse of a week/weeks. 

Some small 1/2 inch frags cost 500 dollars, can you imagine the cost to buy a entire colony? Also some frags tend to acclimate better than colonies and large SPS colonies cant be shipped without damage. 

There is also the fun and joy of watching a brown booger frag grow into a beauty from all the reef gardening instead of just buying large colonies and being /done. 

• Like 9
MainelyReefer

Personally it offers a refuge for newly fragged overgrowth in an AIO where the frag can stay in its original water and lighting and offer the best chance at healing rather than moving it to another separate frag tank.  Also sometimes you bring in new frags and don’t quite know where to place it yet but want it to start acclimating to the tank.  I always buy frags and attach to the rock then grow out, I never buy big corals too much $$$

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, sna66 said:

I can't wrap my head around this, whats the purpose? I think that a tank should look like you are looking at an actual coral reef the way mother nature intended, no tank equipment visible, no little divers or mermaids, no frag racks. Is it that you want to buy a small frag and grow it out then attach it to the rock? can't you just buy a big coral?

Whether you intended it to be or not, this post sounds like you damn near over-exerted yourself to sound pretentious.

Really? There is no scenario that you could possibly fathom that you may have a frag rack? When you say just buy a whole colony, are you thinking that everyone has access to 50 dollar colonies, or that everyone should have 1000+ dollars at their disposal every time they walk past a fish store?

• Like 5

And lol at this being in the AIO subforum.  The entire premise of an AIO is that all your fish stuff is in one tidy little spot with minimal plumbing. 

• Like 4
  • 5 months later...

Look at pretty looking frag racks.. while I never thought badly about anyone else having a frag rack, I never wanted to keep one in my tank until I got mine from Ocean Designs. It glows green on the bottom. I love it, and think it looks pretty.

Had to get a frag rack cause I won a raffle with 6 frags which I didn't really have a place for.. still debating on what to do..lol But the rack will come in use for future frags.

LOL.......I personally don't like the look of them in a DT. BUT, with that said. They absolutely are a tool that is damn near necessary in acclimating coral and finding that sweet spot in the tank that each particular coral does best at Par wise and I do own one and will be using it. I'd like to add that while your post did sound a LITTLE pretentious it sound A LOT like you just don't know what you're talking about. 

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, jennesque said:

Look at pretty looking frag racks.. while I never thought badly about anyone else having a frag rack, I never wanted to keep one in my tank until I got mine from Ocean Designs. It glows green on the bottom. I love it, and think it looks pretty.

Had to get a frag rack cause I won a raffle with 6 frags which I didn't really have a place for.. still debating on what to do..lol But the rack will come in use for future frags.

Welcome to NR! :welcome:

• Thanks 1

Me being a nano/pico guy myself and having tons of frag racks in my past tanks,you will eventually need one if you frag or obtain tons of coral like most of us do. Like stated above they do help with acclimation. Being able to slide a rack around to find what light levels a coral wants is super helpful. 

But also,you obviously feel way stronger about not having them than me or someone else. Different strokes for different folks. Like some people don't like cheap frags while I do or some people like to spend $1000+ on lighting or a setup when I'm cheap even if I have the extra cash,ya know ?