Top Shelf Aquatics

How to Maintain Biological Parameters within 76 Day Fallow Tank Period

igrover

Hi - long story short I had an Ich breakout and have removed my remaining fish in a QT tank.  My display tank now only has its cleaning crew and some coral.

My question is how do I maintain the display tank's biological parameters without any fish for the 76 day period to get rid of the ich?  Just feed as normal?  Feed on a greatly reduced schedule and check water parameters every few days?

What about water changes?  How much and how often?

What about using one liquid ammonia drop once a week to provide additional ammonia for biological needs?

Sorry about asking such basic questions however while I find a lot of discussion about the need for the 76 day fallow period I cannot find much information about how to keep the biological parameters running normally during this 76 day fallow period.

Thanks in advance.

Supposedly your nitrifying bacteria can go dormant for periods without input of nutrients and bounce back very quickly once nutrients return. Since you have coral I would still do some very light feeding here and there to keep their flow of nutrients going. FWIW if you have an established tank there is probably enough leftover waste and food already in there to keep things going for a few months.