Innovative Marine Aquariums

2 20w mini compacts over 2.5g rectangular

nanoninnie

i just finished building a hood and base for a 2.5 g. im going to put 2 20w mini compacts in it. has anyone ever done this before? im wondering if im going to have a problem with heat(no fan). im waiting on the bulbs to come in now. ill put up some picks when i get it setup.thinking about doing a gpby/shrimp combo with a yellow watchman goby and a pistol shrimp. what are everyones thoughts on this in a 2.5? do you think thats enought light for hard corals?

Are these the screw-ins? I have them temporarily over a custom 3g and I do have a slight heat problem (doesn't even have the top on it yet). With the lights off, tank will easily get down to 75 or lower if I didn't have the heater. With the lights in the open top, it gets up to 82.

I plan on using 2 20w 50/50 screw-ins on my 2.5g once I convert it from FW. Know I'll need a fan though.

nobody else has any input?? i also have a aquaclear mini hob, should i leave the stuff that came in it in the tank or should i replace it with lr rubble???? any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

well i finished my hood and it looks great. ill post some pics when i get a chance. having no problems with heat (temp is holding at 80 degrees0 tank looks pretty bright

1. Closeup Please

2. Every picture is the same

3. You posted over and over again the same quotes. Your computerm ust have had a heart attack

4. Doesn't that stick on thermometer (hard to tell cause of size of picture) take up valuable space in your aquarium? why don't you remove it and occasionally use a temperature tester in the water?

nice stand and hood though

Here is a picture of the inside of the hood. I mounted 2 20w mini compacts. painted the inside white and then added a piece of metal duct work from home depot

looks awesome, do you have a link for the lights you got? where did you get the screw in sockets for the bulbs? i didnt get the 10w's cause i heard about yours and it looks awesome

thanks for any info

I know Big Al's carries them for pretty cheap as well. You can get the sockets at Home Depot or Lowes. I prefer the ones you can screw down as it makes them easier to mount.

i got the bulbs at web aquatics. and i got the sockets at home depot. to mount them i just used conduit straps.(they are in the electrical department and are used to secure pipe to walls). i put the link for the bulbs below. they are 12.99(great deal) and as i said ealier i havent had any problems with heat so far

http://secure.microbyte.net/virtual/webaqu...54210&storeid=1

Mmm followin that link...the box itself says 10w. So does it mean 10w per little bulb? Because I saw those at the store and I always thought it mean 10w for the whole bulb..

verry nice, with 40w of light over your tank you have like 16w per gallon, not bad! I only have 40w over my MiniBow7 ;) (hopefully I will be upgrading to 80 watts B)

I also have a suggestion, wouldn't it be a good idea to get a peice of glass cut, so you could cut down on water evap.? just a suggestion.

and another thing, I would go with a Yellow Clown Gobie, they are some really cool and beautiful fish.

(My Avitar is a Yellow Clown Gobie)

i have a piece of glass that came with the tank, but i have the aquaclear mini on the back so it wont go on. so far havent had that much of a problem with evaporation. i put a 8 ounce cup of ro in at night before i go to bed and that seems to be all i need. i just joined a local marine aquarists club, and today i met a member and he loaded me down with all kinds of frags. it was great. mushrooms, kenya tree, devils hand, all kinds of different zoos. i couldnt believe how much stuff he gave me ISNT THAT COOL!!!! ill post some pics when they open up.(and i can scrape all of this crazy glue gel off of my fingertips:blush: )

ap7x check that link again. it says right at the top of the page "20W 50/50 Mini Compact Fluorescent " they work great. and at 12.99 thats 1 dollar more than my lfs sells the 10w for.

wow, i wish there was a Local reef club in my area, I kinda live in a "One Horse Town", my "LFS" is about an hours drive away!

i hope those polyps open soon, I want to see ;)

I realize the link says 20w, but the BOX itself says 10w on the picture. So I was just wondering whats the deal ^^;

hey if it really is 20w total, more power to you ..literally (and eventually me since Ill retrofit it to my 2.5 as well =D )

Archived