Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

moving xenia

doody

To get the xenia off the rock, you can slowly put a scaper or razor (I used one of those plastic razor scapers) under its foot and lightly push it under the xenia as close to the rock as possible. It should lift its foot. Keep doing this very slowly, inch by inch, until you get completely under it. At this point you should be able to pull it completely off. I have done this and did not lose any of the xenia. It was mad, which was no big surprise, but it slowly got over it. To put it on another rock you can try rubber banding it. It will reattach itself within a few days. Hope this made sense.

Be sure to run some carbon afterwards just in case any toxins are released into the water.Shouldnt need to run the carbon for more then 24- 48 hours.

Goodluck.

It would be kind of hard to do the rubber band thing cause of the location of the rock I want to put it on. Plus I heard that wasn't too good to do. Any other methods?

qualudethunder

You can either cut it off of the current rock, place it on the new rock and secure it with bridal veil for a day or two, or just position the current rock so that the xenia is touching the new rock. Set it lower so that the xenia will climb up towards the light onto the new rock. They love to climb up to the light. Once it is on the new rock, cut the xenia where it has split and ditch the old rock(Takes about a week). If you wait long enough it will completely move over, but its quicker to just cut it once it has taken hold of the new rock.

One other way would be to cut the xenia and place it in a small plastic container(in your tank) filled with some small rubble. You can use bridal veil to cover the container if you want, but if it is tall enough the xenia wont float out. Once it has attached to a piece of small rubble you can take that smaller frag and wedge it in with your new rock. After that you will have so much xenia you can frag it probably on a weekly basis if your system is running well.

Hope that helps...

Archived