Innovative Marine Aquariums

Please help ID, friend or foe.

Heydude

Hi, 

I'm hoping someone can help ID the (I don't know how to describe it), I have two of these things, one on the shell of a hermit crab and another on the rock on which my zoa are growing. 

All I can say is its characteristics are that is has a hard white area from which seems to be growing a fleshy translucent area, this seems to be alive as it moves independently and not just with the current from what I can tell, however the hard white bit does seem to be fixed in place. 

Really hoping for some help on this, doesn't seem to be affecting any of the zoas or the crab at this stage but concerned it could be something that may develop. 

Could this be some form of coral that is calcifying that has hitched a ride in to my tank? 

Thanks in advance for looking. 

Tony. 

Capture+_2018-04-09-19-05-00-1.png

2 minutes ago, Heydude said:

Yes it does seem to. 

Does it move around out of the white part or does it just retract into the white part?

• Thanks 1

If it is moving physically around the tank perhaps it is a stomatella? They come in different flesh/shell colors. I've had a few of the black ones (reef safe from what I gather).

edit, looking at the pic again I wonder if that is a tube worm.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Does it move around out of the white part or does it just retract into the white part?

It doesn't seem to retract in to the white bit that I can see. 

4 minutes ago, Nocturnal said:

If it is moving physically around the tank perhaps it is a stomatella? They come in different flesh/shell colors. I've had a few of the black ones (reef safe from what I gather).

edit, looking at the pic again I wonder if that is a tube worm.

Is not moving around the tank, I have one on rock and this one in the crab shell.