Cultivated Reef

My anemone seems sick???

Conroy

Ok so I have a long tentacle sea anemone named George. Well George all of a sudden started looking sick the last few days, I started feeding him via dropper today, which he took well and ate quit a bit of brine shrimp. I would hate for George to die, but I’m really concerned with his appearance and health at this point. I have tried researching but have come up wth skim results almost nothing. He is not losing color and his mouth is not gaping. Please help! 

Here is a picture of George. 

image.jpg

By "seems sick" what exactly do you mean? The only thing that I can see from the pic is an under-inflated anemone with a heck of a lot of phtosynthetic algae growing in it. Since anemones usually like to move around if they're in too much light, I don't think that's the issue or it would've moved by now but the white spots on top suggest too much light. The white spots along the trunk of the anemone concern me a bit because it looks a lot like zoa pox, which is caused by a bacterial infection. 

If it's just stuck to the sand, see if you can urge it to move to a shadier spot. If you notice any white fungusy cottony looking growth on the trunk, it might have zoa pox and need treatment in quarantine with Furan-2. If you notice any brown slime coming out of it's mouth, it's bleaching from too much light exposure and needs to be moved to shade for a while. 

What I mean is he looks sad and under inflated, he picked that spot and has not moved in a month. As far as I am aware the white spots and marking has been normal since I purchased him. He has not had any nasties coming from his mouth either.

What can cause him to be under inflated?

Oh, well in that case I wouldn't worry. They do that. 

Sometimes they'll get a little growth of algae or something on their skin and shrink down to slough it off, then re-expand later to their former glory. You'll see the same behavior for growth spurts they occasionally go through. I have a BTA that shrinks into a little hidey hole in my rock work at least once or twice a day when it gets annoyed with it's adopted tomato clown. Just keep an eye on it. 

PS: What to look for are signs that it's not eating, gaping wide open, expelling zoaxanthellae or growing fungus/brown goo or turning white. If none of that is happening, just be patient with it. :)

He has actually perked up a bit since feeding and I turned the day lights off and turned the blue lights on. I feel the light may be to intense, but trying to intice him to move has turned futile