inTank Media Baskets

Proposed ban on corals with palytoxin

seabass

I can see how palytoxin is a potential danger, but this bill is still a little concerning.  As ReefBuildrs points out, the main problem being identification.  If proper identification isn't possible at the species level, will all palythoa eventually be included to avoid possible confusion and misidentification?

palytoxin.thumb.jpg.ccf251f85dfde5db41291fb2a2b0fbc7.jpg

Senate bill HB1097

Title: Palytoxin Protection Act of 2018

Description: The Palytoxin Protection Act of 2018 prohibits the retail sale of the following ornamental coral species: P. toxica, P. tuberculosa, P. caribaeorum, P. mammilosa, and P. vestitus. The FTC will be charged with regulatory enforcement.

Last Action: Referred to the Subcommittee on Consumer Protections.

Last Action Date: April 1, 2018

#FAKENEWS

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
ChristopherDido

I can't find this article. Do you have the link? I searched palytoxin ban of reefbuilders and it didn't show up. Thanks

• Like 1

Not likely rat poison. Warfarin is used in rat poison, it's an anticoagulant. Also used on humans.

Many insecticides are band here and in Europe. We cannot purchase Bayer in cda.

Personally, since there is no cure for paly toxin and Dr's are often unsure how to treat ppl who are exposed- maybe they shouldn't be sold.

I personally don't want paly's in my tank and stores easily mislabel corals. 

A lot of hobbiests avoid paly's now due to the toxin and there rapid take over. 

• Like 3

I can't find this article. Do you have the link? I searched palytoxin ban of reefbuilders and it didn't show up. Thanks

:lol:

Sorry guys, it's that time of year again.

• Haha 9

I was still laying in bed when I read this... Formulating the list of wanted Zoas in my head.

Then I had a cup of coffee and remembered what day it was! Hahaha this was good!

• Like 6

Heh. 

I might have wished that were true the not one but two times I’ve been incredibly sick from Palytoxin. I sure wish there was a way to at least ID the Palytoxin varieties. I’d never buy them (and I’m reluctant to have any as it is.)

• Like 1
CarolinaShoreReef
18 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Not likely rat poison. Warfarin is used in rat poison, it's an anticoagulant. Also used on humans.

Many insecticides are band here and in Europe. We cannot purchase Bayer in cda.

Personally, since there is no cure for paly toxin and Dr's are often unsure how to treat ppl who are exposed- maybe they shouldn't be sold.

I personally don't want paly's in my tank and stores easily mislabel corals. 

A lot of hobbiests avoid paly's now due to the toxin and there rapid take over. 

Yes I’m very aware of Coumadin. Part of my biochem curriculum. It has led to deaths of many who bleed out, why it’s so effective on rodents. 

• Like 1

Damn you little shit... Lol I was all mad... 

More dangerous to drive the highway than doing maint on my tank with some pallys in it. I can poison myself if I want to! :P

• Haha 4

:) Thanks.  I tried to leave a couple of clues.  ReefBuilders was ReefBuildrs, I used April 1 as a date in a couple of places, and left a light grey #FAKENEWS in the lower right of the post.  Happy Easter everyone!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
CarolinaShoreReef
6 minutes ago, seabass said:

:) Thanks.  I tried to leave a couple of clues.  ReefBuilders was ReefBuildrs, I used April 1 as a date in a couple of places, and left a light grey #FAKENEWS in the lower right of the post.  Happy Easter everyone!

I kept trying to click on fake news the first time I read it ?

• Haha 2
15 hours ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Yes I’m very aware of Coumadin. Part of my biochem curriculum. It has led to deaths of many who bleed out, why it’s so effective on rodents. 

Ya it's super fun bring on it...not.:unsure:

• Like 1