Coral Vue Hydros

First Pico- 4 Gallon Lighting Question

Newfishgirl

Newfishgirl

I am new to Pico reef keeping. I have been in the hobby for over 7 years. I have always wanted a Pico and figured I have enough experience under my belt to give it a try. 

I purchased a used Innovative Marine Pico 4. It’s a European model and comes with a skyye Light but I don’t feel comfortable using it even with an adapter. Which lights should I consider?  The tank itself will house a Pseudosquilla Cilata mantis with a few corals. 

Thank you, Denise 

• Like 1

Over my spec I run a par38 bulb and a par20, plenty of light and corals are doing well. So for the 4g one par 38 will be more than enough.

I have a 5.5 aio where the diplay portion is roughly 4 gallons.  When the creative container contest is done I plan to move the coral, rock and all into the aio and I plan to continue using the par 38 Coral Compulsion bulb.

• Like 1

A par 38 will be more then enough. Just keep in mind not all par 38's are created equal. Some are more powerful then others. Wattage, optics, and coverage area needs to be factored. 

Honestly - I ventured into pico reefing about 1.5 years ago and I find it much simpler than with larger tanks.  Then again that's keeping things relatively simple - no fish, just inverts.

I agree with the others that a PAR bulb is likely going to be the simplest lighting solution here. I would consider the brand that vlangel mentioned - Coral compulsion.  I've never had one, but people say they have good color.  I have purchased generic ones off eBay before and the color on them was pretty bad.  Low quality white LEDs.  

Finally - as you're still only a few posts in, you might consider taking the word "new" out of your screen name?  After all you won't be new forever :)  I don't think you can change it - but maybe just create a new account?  or PM a mod? 

I used a Coral Compulsion PAR30 bulb over my first 4g tank and it worked well. I eventually upgraded to a Nanobox for better color. Either that or the PAR38 would work well. 

You will probably want to upgrade from a PAR bulb to a fully controllable led light at some point. So don't feel like you have to spend tons of money right now. I'm using the ABI tuna blue bulb over my 2g jar and it grows corals very well with good color. It is very blue though, which is good for corals but very hard to photograph. And the blue is not to everyone's taste although I personally like it. 

At $25 on Amazon it's cheap enough to experiment with. ABI also make a whiter bulb, but it is definitely too white to be ideal for corals.