Coral Vue Hydros

New Tank - Brown Algae - Dead Cleaner Shrimp

Trish

I am in the 4th week of my new tank cycle. This morning I found my cleaner shrimp dead. I can not imagine what I've missed or may be doing wrong. I have had the cleaning crew in my tank for about 9 days now. I added this crew as soon as my Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate went to 0 and noticed some green algae. My tank is now being taken over by diatoms or brown algae.

CLEANER CREW:
1 Cleaner Shrimp
3 Scarlet Crabs
Lawnmower Blenny
And a Snail that Hitch Hiked on my live rock. Possibly a conch/crown snail.

Beginning to 2nd week to 4th week
Ammonia: 0   to  .50    to   0 
Nitrite: 0  to  .25   to   0 
Nitrate: 0  to 20 to 5
Salinity:  1.021 to 1.022
PH: 8.2 to 7.8 
Temperature: 78.4 to 79.6 from morning to afternoon

4th week:
Phosphate: 0
Calcium: 360 ppm 
Alkalinity dkh: 8

CHANGES I NOTICED WITH THE TANK:
My cleaner shrimp molted last week a couple days later my Scarlet Crab molted and then another Scarlet Crab molted yesterday.
I have a large coating of brown diatom algae in my tank that began about a week ago. It has covered almost everything in my aquarium.
I cleaned filters yesterday and replaced the carbon (1/4 cup) in each of my H.O.T. Magnum Canisters. I ran water over the carbon before placing it in the tank.

Is there something that I may be missing?

Thanks in advance,
PJ

_____________________TANK DESCRIPTION AND PARAMETERS___________________________________________________________
60 Gallon tank after adding rock and other items there is 50 Gallons Water
10 lbs dry rock  
4 coraline rocks at 34.5 lbs
40 lbs Substrate Sea Floor Grade Reef Sand

EQUIPMENT:
Instant Ocean150 SeaClone Protein Skimmer
2 HOT Magnum filters with Crystal Cal Activated Carbon 1/2 cup in each  pump
2 Power head pumps on each end 530 gph
Heater
48" Reef Edge LED Fixtures

aquarium.jpg

cleanershrimp.jpg

I fed the shrimp morning and afternoon. It seemed to take to the pellets well. (Hikari crab cuisine) it is the sinking pellets.

I placed them right in front of his rock and he'd come out and grab them one at a time. He did not seem to be stressed until the algae began to take over. Is it possible the brown algae may have had something to do with this? 

2 hours ago, Trish said:

I fed the shrimp morning and afternoon. It seemed to take to the pellets well. (Hikari crab cuisine) it is the sinking pellets.

I placed them right in front of his rock and he'd come out and grab them one at a time. He did not seem to be stressed until the algae began to take over. Is it possible the brown algae may have had something to do with this? 

I don't think algae would kill it, how did you acclimate it and for how long?

burtbollinger

it used to be you would never mess with shrimp this early in a tanks life...I dont know why this would have changed.  

I'd avoid shrimp until the tanks matures...I'd revisit in the early Fall.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Algae will not kill a shrimp.  Shrimp are very sensitive to changes.  How long was it in tank?  How long was shrimp eating?  Did you notice any appetite change prior to shrimp dying.

• Thanks 1

Is the tank only 4 weeks old?

If so, the tank is too new for all that livestock after cycling.

It's also too new for a shrimp. I think shrimp should be added after a few mnths. They also need meaty food. 

Was it acclimated properly? Shrimp are very sensitive.

The salinity. When you say 1.024 -1.025, is it constantly changing?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Certain Dino could kill shrimp if it happened to be that. I don't add shrimp until the tank is at least a few months in and the beginning algae crap is gone. They need somewhat stable parameters to molt properly and no mini ammonia spikes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice looking tank. Dead shrimp, algae and new tank. The evidence all points to a secondary cycle after the addition of livestock.  Let it ride for another month. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the advice. I found my wave maker may have been a criminal in this matter. I have removed both wave makers after finding a piece of my shrimps tail in it along with getting a slight shock when holding it with my wet hand.

I am thinking that my new AquaMaxx HOB 1.5 Skimmer and the two HOT Mag Filters should allow enough water movement and circulation for the tank and seem to be a much safer direction. All three of my intake strainers from these filters and skimmer now have foam covers over them.

I feel terrible about the shrimp and feel I have learned a valuable lesson. The cleaner shrimp swam all over the tank, like it was all hyped up on flakes and loved to clean everything. Very fascinating to watch it clean the blenny's mouth and gills. I will wait longer to add another shrimp as a precautionary measure.

Ammonia: 0  
Nitrite: 0  
Nitrate: 5
Salinity:  1.023
PH: 8.2 
Temperature: 74.2
  • Like 1

Are you sure it isn't just a molt and the shrimp is hiding today while its new shell hardens? My shrimp molts always end up stuck to my powerhead.

• Thanks 1

electrical current can kill but powerheads are definitely beneficial, not really classified as dangerous.

The pumps in your skimmer, filters, heaters, all can do the same thing.

The flow provided by powerheads is different than filters flow.

• Thanks 1

I have the hang on the back protein skimmer, along with the two hot mag canisters which makes a lot of wave movement on the top water. The two filters at each end have clips that are turned to allow water to ripple at the surface. 

I can put the other two good power heads back in my tank if needed. I have to figure out a way to keep anything from getting into them. 

14 hours ago, Trish said:

I have the hang on the back protein skimmer, along with the two hot mag canisters which makes a lot of wave movement on the top water. The two filters at each end have clips that are turned to allow water to ripple at the surface. 

I can put the other two good power heads back in my tank if needed. I have to figure out a way to keep anything from getting into them. 

I doubt your shrimp got in it. 

Not a common problem fish or inverts getting in the powerhead. Excluding anemones.

His remains may have gotten pulled in or blown into it, I know my shrimp molts do.

On 4/15/2018 at 11:03 AM, wsonner said:

Out of curiosity....why is your temperature so low?

It was 78 to 79 but then I was told at petco the temp should be between 74 to 76. What should my temp be?

I just had a bunch of baby snails hatch in my tank.... They are all over the glass. I went to Petco with pictures to ask what they were and noticed there where tiny white dots all over their tank glass where I had purchased my cleaning crew. When I pointed them out, the lady told me it was turbo snails and instructed me to google what to purchase for my tank. She said I need something that may eat them before they grow to big.   

How are you handling evaporation? Your original post has salinity if 1.021-1.022 then a later post has 1.023. If you are not regularly topping off with freshwater (preferably RO/DI or distilled) your salinity will continue to creep up. Unstable salinity is very bad for your tank, especially inverts.

Is this the tank with the anemone? If so I strongly encourage you to slow down and research as you move forward. Stop listening to Petco, and spend time reading this forum. 

Good luck! :)

1 hour ago, kismetsh said:

How are you handling evaporation? Your original post has salinity if 1.021-1.022 then a later post has 1.023. If you are not regularly topping off with freshwater (preferably RO/DI or distilled) your salinity will continue to creep up. Unstable salinity is very bad for your tank, especially inverts.

Is this the tank with the anemone? If so I strongly encourage you to slow down and research as you move forward. Stop listening to Petco, and spend time reading this forum. 

I am topping off my tank with distilled water. 

The salinity is 1.022.  It has been staying consistent at 1.022. Thinking I read the test incorrectly. Because it went right back to 1.022 two days later when I tested again.  I have a (drop-in-the tank) hydrometer at this time.

Ammonia has not read above 0 since March 19. The Nitrite at 0 since March 25. Nitrate is staying at 5 since April 2. Can't get it any lower?#? 

Phosphate is also at 0 and still fluctuates at times. 

This is the tank with the anemone. I noticed it may stay out for days then it balls up after I feed it. Then it is back out beautifully within 12 to 24 hours. I read that they digest their food by doing this??? There is so much information online to read; I never know what to believe.  

I think I may have a much bigger problem... I just had a bunch of baby turbo snails hatch in my tank.... They are all over the glass. 

Baby snails are not a problem unless you do ‘t like the look.  They are necessary as part of your CUC, clean up crew.  Detrivores & herbivores are two areas in which snails are your friends.  They will multiply to food supply.  As they multiply, spores feed live food to filter feeders, including coral.

• Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, Trish said:

The salinity is 1.022.  It has been staying consistent at 1.022. Thinking I read the test incorrectly. Because it went right back to 1.022 two days later when I tested again.  I have a (drop-in-the tank) hydrometer at this time.

Ammonia has not read above 0 since March 19. The Nitrite at 0 since March 25. Nitrate is staying at 5 since April 2. Can't get it any lower?#? 

This is the tank with the anemone. I noticed it may stay out for days then it balls up after I feed it. Then it is back out beautifully within 12 to 24 hours. I read that they digest their food by doing this??? There is so much information online to read; I never know what to believe.  

I think I may have a much bigger problem... I just had a bunch of baby turbo snails hatch in my tank.... They are all over the glass. 

That is correct feeding behavior. I think your temp is a little on the low side. but all in all it was probably just a matter of your tank not being ready.

• Thanks 1
A Little Blue
1 hour ago, Trish said:

That’s the problem. Everyone is an expert. You need to do your own homework, seek advice from reputable hobbiest (never take my advice tho) and filter information and practices that best suits you and your aquarium. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Trish said:

It was 78 to 79 but then I was told at petco the temp should be between 74 to 76. What should my temp be?

I just had a bunch of baby snails hatch in my tank.... They are all over the glass. I went to Petco with pictures to ask what they were and noticed there where tiny white dots all over their tank glass where I had purchased my cleaning crew. When I pointed them out, the lady told me it was turbo snails and instructed me to google what to purchase for my tank. She said I need something that may eat them before they grow to big.   

Temperature depends a lot on what critters you will keep in your tank.  A starting point for me is usually 78 - 79 but some like it cooler, some warmer.   74 to 76 is pretty low. Overall it sounds like you are doing a good job.  Asking questions like you are is key.  I hope you're having fun, that's what it's all about :).