Cultivated Reef

Best diatom eaters?

Lizbeth90

I currently have about 15 dwarf snail, 2 nassarius, 5 Nerite snail, 1 astreae snail 1 Halloween crab and one small blue hermit. 1 Urchin. Is this too much for a 20 gallon tank? Which are the best snail to have that eat diatoms and algae? 

11 minutes ago, Lizbeth90 said:

I currently have about 15 dwarf snail, 2 nassarius, 5 Nerite snail, 1 astreae snail 1 Halloween crab and one small blue hermit. 1 Urchin. Is this too much for a 20 gallon tank? Which are the best snail to have that eat diatoms and algae? 

Thats a decent clean up crew as long as there is enough to feed them all but Diatoms are a normal part part of a new reef. They will go away as the reef matures. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Thats a decent clean up crew as long as there is enough to feed them all but Diatoms are a normal part part of a new reef. They will go away as the reef matures. 

Thank you for your help. 

• Like 2
Sailingeric
10 hours ago, burtbollinger said:

Cerith 

and trochus snail.  I have a small diatom bloom forming on a couple of my rocks and I got 4 cerith and 2 trochus snails last weekend for my 75 gallon and the trochus have just about cleaned up one of my rocks.  I will get a few more this weekend to start on the other rock. The cerith have been doing a good of cleaning the glass.  I have not seen algae on the glass but they are finding something as they are like a window cleaning crew working it up and down the tank.  

• Thanks 1