Innovative Marine Aquariums

What do you use to live stream your tank?

nicholc2

Since my tank is home and I'm at work most of the day I would like to set up a live stream of my tank so I can view it when I'm not home.  For those who have something like this set up what do you use?  Any help is greatly appreciated!

CarolinaShoreReef

I've seen people use a raspberry pi. We use them for my research but I couldn't tell you how to set it up. There's some threads here on how to do it. 

Simulated Fish
1 hour ago, nicholc2 said:

Since my tank is home and I'm at work most of the day I would like to set up a live stream of my tank so I can view it when I'm not home.  For those who have something like this set up what do you use?  Any help is greatly appreciated!

You can get a super cheap laptop off Craigslist as all you need it for is it go between for a webcam and OBS software.

OBS is free open source and super easy to use, you can set it up to stream for anyone to view, like twitch, or for private use.

The big question here is are you wanting something simple like a door cam what you can get fairly cheap and then just hook it up and forget it or do you need something that cannot be connected to your work internet or computer?

Don't forget to check with your supervisor HR about running a camera that streams depending on the company you can have some harsh repercussions if they find out even streaming live footage even if it's just of a tank.

2 minutes ago, Hippieheadshot said:

You can get a super cheap laptop off Craigslist as all you need it for is it go between for a webcam and OBS software.

OBS is free open source and super easy to use, you can set it up to stream for anyone to view, like twitch, or for private use.

The big question here is are you wanting something simple like a door cam what you can get fairly cheap and then just hook it up and forget it or do you need something that cannot be connected to your work internet or computer?

Don't forget to check with your supervisor HR about running a camera that streams depending on the company you can have some harsh repercussions if they find out even streaming live footage even if it's just of a tank.

No, I'm doing this at home.  Computer isn't an issue.  I can get that for free from work.  I was wanting something wireless, hopefully.  I want it to have decent white balance for obvious reasons.  I have a powerful media PC I can use at home already if it's a wireless cam and not a USB cam.  Another reason I'd prefer that as well.  :)

Simulated Fish
Just now, nicholc2 said:

No, I'm doing this at home.  Computer isn't an issue.  I can get that for free from work.  I was wanting something wireless, hopefully.  I want it to have decent white balance for obvious reasons.  I have a powerful media PC I can use at home already if it's a wireless cam and not a USB cam.  Another reason I'd prefer that as well.  :)

Oh definitely easiest Solutions just going to be a nanny cam or a front door security cam. There are tons to choose from you're really just going to come down to price and video quality that you're looking for.

• 2 weeks later...
CarolinaShoreReef

I’m using this 360 can because i had it lying around. Idk what brand it is but it’s not really for viewing the tank all that much. I need to mount it but this is what it looks like laying on the floor lol. I’m sure there are ones that are not 360, it works off of an app and I can take pictures or record from it. You can also talk to your fish if you’re into that stuff ? 

6D2C29C4-1DF7-4AA7-B212-8B0DFCD34A4B.png

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Reefsamurai

I can't believe this topic got shelved for almost 2 years especially with today's camera tech. 

Does anyone have any good recommendations of live feed cameras for their tanks? Were looking into something we can remote into both from our phones(while on vacation) and computers(while at work).

1 hour ago, Reefsamurai said:

I can't believe this topic got shelved for almost 2 years especially with today's camera tech. 

Does anyone have any good recommendations of live feed cameras for their tanks? Were looking into something we can remote into both from our phones(while on vacation) and computers(while at work).

I see quite a few use the Wyze Cam and say great things about it . I dont have personal experience with it though.  

Reefsamurai
5 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

I see quite a few use the Wyze Cam and say great things about it . I dont have personal experience with it though.  

Do you have or know any links to see intank pic using this camera? I'd like see these before I make a purchase. I like to see comparisons as we all know that outside pics vs intank pics(due to lighting) are very different. I've seen pics from the previous version of the amcrest and they look good and now they have upped the MP amoungst a few other things. I would gather it's only improved it's quality of capture.