Cultivated Reef

Do my BTAs look like they need more light?

rockryno

With the new anemone tank, I'm slowly trying too figure our how much light these guys want. 

17 gal tank.  I have a singel Kessil A360W about 8" over the water, and they sit about 6" or so under the water as such - 

IMG_3466.thumb.jpg.f9e53740680e200cfbf889bc3848318f.jpg

In this picture, the lights slowly ramp to 30% at peak, then back down during a 12 hour lighting cycle.  They look fat and happy, but i can't tell if they want more light as they almost appear to be stretching -

IMG_3491.thumb.jpg.3bec233636284ecb17b6d11c8912572e.jpg

IMG_3490.thumb.jpg.b94323975f76a0450395f9a2d3e83433.jpg

Noticing this, I've started to increase the lighting intensity by about 5% per day for the last two weeks.  Zero change until i hit about 60% on the light intensity, they two of the smaller ones started to move around - but they moved to an area of higher light!  The big ones remain as stretched as before. 

I continued to increase the light until I hit 80% with no change in anemone behavior.  It seems like the clowns hide in the nems during the peak time, maybe it's too bright for them?  So I went back to 50% where everything seemed cool and am now asking the question.

I don't want to hurt anything, so should I keep increasing the lighting?  Or do these BTAs look happy?  

they look happy to me.  I think if it were too bright they would move away.  I have a candy corn bta that is at the back of my tank on the bottom and my rose btas are in the middle.   

I agree with richnyc.  They look happy.  Some of the stretch may be to get a bit farther away from the others.  BTAs are not shy, they will move if unhappy.  I have a couple that like the very brightest light and others that like much lower light - and a couple of them are budded offspring of one of the high light preferring ones.  All of them grow well.