Pod Your Reef

What is happening to my Favia?

Tkpico

Over the past two weeks I have what looks like an algae type mass growing on this favia, it almost seems filmy. Everything else in the tank is happy and this was too up until recently. I have it placed directly under my Kessil A80 running at about 75%, Its roughly 8" under the light.

Before this happened I know the colors were morphing slightly (same color as its ring except patches in the middle) but it was still inflated and feeding regularly. Should I move it down and scrape everything off? Should I dip it?

3gal picotope,

ac70

kessil a80

chemipure elite

weekly 25% water changes

Any thoughts or ideas?

Edit: these pictures look horrible blown up, I'll try to take better ones.

IMG_5517.jpeg

favia edit.jpg

IMG_5518.jpg

DSCN3484.JPG

I have had some filmy reddish brown stuff show up on mine as well. I usually just use a pipette to remove it with puffs of water and usually I can suck it up with the pipette just after it is dislodged. 

When it pops up in my system I believe the root of the problem is my water parameters due to slacking on my water changes.

Looks like algae or cyano on it, the red stuff.

Is the other circles skeleton or algae?

If it's skeleton, it may be in too direct of light. Favia don't like high light.

Thanks for the replies I appreciate it.

I'll try all of the above, I thought I had read that they like high light high flow, I'll move it down as well.

4 hours ago, Tkpico said:

Thanks for the replies I appreciate it.

I'll try all of the above, I thought I had read that they like high light high flow, I'll move it down as well.

They prefer low to moderate light and flow