ReefCleaners.org

Adding new clownfish

Mastery90

I'm pretty new to the hobby bought an existing tank. I managed to move the 24gal nano cube with all the existing water. I finally after weeks decided to go buy my first fish. Tank came with 1 clone who was alone for months. I ended up picking a lightning maroon clown for 40 dollars. I was told that they should get along fine. Sometimes their ok and others the original is just picking on the new guy. I've seen them both wiggling at each other at times. But how much aggession is too much? On a side not I did rearrange the tank before introductions. Just wanna be sure I'm not letting her permanently harm the new guy. Dont want him over stresses with the move and with her being agressive. And the new one is about 1/3 to 1/2 smaller and always just submittes. Any in For on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

20180313_205233.jpg

20180313_205231.jpg

Uh... pairing these two clowns will be difficult, not impossible but difficult. As the maroon matures and grows, tables will most likely turn and a fair chance one will be killed. They may never pair as they fairly different as far as clowns go.

Keep in mind Maroons grow large and can be very aggressive, especially if they decide to breed. Since they grow so large they also have a large bioload. It may be difficult later on down the road to keep other fish with maroons. They are much easier as babies/juveniles but all fish grow up eventually.

I would just bring the original clownfish back to the store since you probably want to keep the maroon clownfish although it would not be my ideal fish in a 24g

• Like 2

What I'm looking for in the tank is just two pretty healthy fish. I am not looking into adding any more that two clowns. I do think uour right thatif they don't like each other then I'll keep the maroon. I like the pattern. She has yet to harm the new fish so far. Sometimes their together and others their on opposite ends. Any idea on how long to give it to see if they will get along?..... if I did return the aggrssive original I'd just get the other maroon they had. Thanks for the input.

Maroon clowns are very aggressive and pairing them with other clowns(none maroon) is difficult, not advised by most.

Aggression can take time. As it grows older and bigger the territorial nature of the maroon will get worse with you and any other fish.

They also grow to 6" which is not ideal in a 24g.

If there is 1 piece of advice most of us can give.

Don't trust a lfs advice. It's a store, they need to sell the livestock and will often provide misleading, out dated, full out false advice. Not all will but a vast majority do.

Always do your own research.

Personally I'd return 1 of the clowns. 

• Like 2

So I currently have them separated by a net clip cage and an trying to rehome him. Call the pet store and they do not have exchanges or returns of any kind. Once he is rehomed I'll try again with another clown of the same type. Thank you for your information.

• Like 1