ReefCleaners.org

Long tentacle gsp?

Jphom

Evening fellow reefers! 

So I have been growing this small patch of green star polyps on an isolated rock for about 4 months now, it started as a frag and covered the rock completely. It is on the sandbed in a rather medium to high flow area, everywhere I read online it says that the gsp will eventually grow longer tentacles? 

I haven't had that experience yet, is it true that I need long tentacled gsp? It's part of my scape idea. 

When I got my GSP the polyps were 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch long.   Somewhere between 4 and 5 months they started growing longer and are now 1 inch+ long.  The frag is 7 months old now. 

I would agree - As the mat matures my experience has been that the tentacles get longer.  Note that I've seen some GSP with insanely long tentacles - that might be a specific morph.

CarolinaShoreReef
2 hours ago, Jphom said:

Evening fellow reefers! 

So I have been growing this small patch of green star polyps on an isolated rock for about 4 months now, it started as a frag and covered the rock completely. It is on the sandbed in a rather medium to high flow area, everywhere I read online it says that the gsp will eventually grow longer tentacles? 

I haven't had that experience yet, is it true that I need long tentacled gsp? It's part of my scape idea. 

Wow that's fast how big is the rock (tennis ball, softball, etc)? 

Good to know, thanks everyone! The frag was picked up in the end of January, I attached it to a rock the size of a soft ball and it's now growing a mat onto the sand bed. So it hasn't matured yet but it definitely grows like weed, I would not recommend attaching to any large rocks. 

Now if I can only get my Montipora Cap to grow like that....<_<