Pod Your Reef

Rose anenome

SLOreefer

hey guys well i got my rose anenome and am kinda scared of what is going to happen. heres the story.

I go to work and find out some leady has just given us 4 rose anenomes. 3 are huge and one is the size of a quarter. i decide i will take it home, she found it in her sump so it is a little belached. i decde to leave it under my works lighting to make sure it is ok. next day seems fine so i take it home. i bring it home and put it in my tank. it attached to the rock and opened up, then my peppermint finds it and starts attacking it, i get he shripm out but the rose detached from the rock and fell behind everything. lost it for 3 days and now i found it and brought it back out front. no more shrimp but the anenome is somewhat bleached. what should i do? any recommendations? should i start feeding it solid food or maybe something for filter feeders? any help would be great and please no bashing for having an anenome in a nano as i intend to setup an anenome and clown only tank asap.

friggin shrimps and crabs!  

i'd just leave it alone right now.  not too much current but it should have some, not enough to move the whole animal a 'light breeze' as someone just mentioned in another post.  do you dose with any protein mixes?  i used kent's coral accel when mine was shreded accidently by a rio powerhead.  

friggin powerheads!

(Edited by tinyreef at 10:04 am on July 4, 2002)

Has the clown taken it up as a host? Send us some pics of the anenome. I wish you best of luck with it. Keep us posted on your success. From what I heard about anenomes they like to move around a lot, so by moving it to one place they may just end up moving to another. You can try putting them in a place with current and stong light and hopefully they will stay there. How long have you had the anenome? You can try giving it a small piece of shrimp or whatever was fed to them initially.

Yeah it wil move where it wants, then it will stay where it wants when it finds a good spot. Try feeding it a piece of shrimp the size of a pencil eraser, just good ol' raw shrimp from the supermarket. They really like that. That should energize him up a bit. And btw, if that lady gives you any more rose bta's, PLEASE contact me. I'd love one. :)

my clown doesnt seem interested but the anenome is very small...it is the size of a quarter fully open. im going to try and get my perc to take it as a host once it grows a bit. i have only had it about a week now but about 5 of the days ive had it, it was behind my rocks with no light. it has moved aaround and now seems to have found a spot with its foot under a ledge so he can poke his head out. it is opening up alot more now and i have been feeding it mysis shrimp. ill get pics as soon as i get a camera. probably not that much longer.

Good to hear its doing good. Care to hook me up if/when it splits or that lady brings in more? :) Where do you work at, btw? A LFS?

i work at Aquarium concepts in Hayward. if i get more ill post them up here. Nanoreefer53 got to me first so he has first dibs but you can be second in line if i get any. mine is so small i dont think it will split anytime soon. i might set up a bigger tank and try and raise them so i can sell and trade but thats a ways down the road. but for sure ill let everyone know. right now there are 2 at the store for 100 dollars. they are about 4-5 inches wide. we also have some others but they are huge and like 200 dollars.

Cool, you work at AC. Maybe I'll see you there sometime. I have got to get one of those fiji devil damsels. Those things are awesome.

I hope all goes well, but maybe you need more light? Mine love my 2x400mh's, not to say you would need that in your tank. I am getting ready to transfer mine to thier own tank, I have 3 now with splits. Mine also like shrimp(with the shell), and silversides. just keep feeding it, I found a lta that disapeared 4mo ago and it is getting bigger  all the time.

GOOD LUCK

Dave

Archived