inTank Media Baskets

Fluval evo 13.5 PAR stock lighting

hyoib

I purchased a seneye this weekend and thought I'd test it out to see if i could some PAR recordings on the stock lighting which comes with the fluval evo.

Few general points:

1) Not great broadcasting of light, especially at the top. There were some sudden drop offs of PAR when recordings were done either under the light or just parallel to it.

2) Difficulty to do recordings with the canopy. I tried to jiffy it with some bamboo canes (see picture) but overall was tricky. Will try fashion some seneye holder with perspex this weekend. 

3) Some recordings couldnt be done in my tank due to rock work/coral placement.

All measurements were made with stock lighting in the stock position.

I measured 4 levels at increments of 4 inches in  6 sections of the tank.

1. Surface level (0 inches)
  2. 4 inches below surface
  3. 8 inches below surface
  4. Sand bed.

So the results are in see photos below. The blueish/grey box overlying it represents the position of the light in relation to the tank.

Overall, i think it could be said there is decent PAR centrally but not much spread at the upper levels. I don't think the canopy really helps with that. Definitely seems to be enough PAR need the surface to attempt SPS, but even if you get growth its questionable how good it'll colour up.

Let me know what you think.

I might try move the chalice with the PAR being pretty high at the level its at, but its doing pretty well at the moment so may stick it at it for a while. 

IMG_5856.jpg

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hats off to you since this is the first I have seen anyone try to do a PAR study on the 13.5 stock light. If the way in the photo with the device hanging in the tank was your measurement method I think the measurements may be off. Due to the sensor placement, it would be best to have the sensor oriented with the sensor side up. I recognize this has inherent difficulties since you would need to have something holding the seneye in that orientation while also keeping out of the path of light on the sensor. It would probably require a custom mount (either acrylic or 3d printed) on a rod and that takes $$. An arm holding it by hand would displace too much water possibly affecting the reading due to water level unless the overflow could keep up. Not to mention the difficulty of keeping the image unshaded.

Still this I am grateful for the contribution you made with the work you have done.  Also since this is with the seneye, I would be curious to see the PUR reading along with the PAR. =)

The readings are PAR not PUR.

I got the readings by using my arm to hold it in the water so that could definitely affect the results. My friend has a 3d printer so I'll see if he'll make one for me and get back to you if i ever get that done.

ThisPlaceIsAPrison

I believe in the stock EVO tank.  I have SPS growing at a consistent pace in mine.  I see people going nuts and dumping absurd amounts of money into the Fluval EVO by upgrading the lights, etc.  Now I understand "to each their own", but it defeats the entire purpose of this budget all in one.  

The people that are putting HD Primes etc on this, could have started with a nicer display tank for far less than what they spent on the FLUVAL just to tear it apart.  I don't get it...

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

I believe in the stock EVO tank.  I have SPS growing at a consistent pace in mine.  I see people going nuts and dumping absurd amounts of money into the Fluval EVO by upgrading the lights, etc.  Now I understand "to each their own", but it defeats the entire purpose of this budget all in one.  

The people that are putting HD Primes etc on this, could have started with a nicer display tank for far less than what they spent on the FLUVAL just to tear it apart.  I don't get it...

I would have to agree. My SPS corals were doing very well for months until my fish got Velvet and I tried the supposed "reef safe" meds.  If not for the "reef safe" treatment and fish death knocking my levels way out of whack I think the SPS corals would still be doing well.  

I have always been curious about the PAR output of the stock lighting though. BRStv will never test it since there is no financial motivation as they do not sell Fluval products and they stand to make a few hundred dollars for anyone who does add aftermarket lighting.

• Like 1

I do think the stock lighting is obviously bright enough to grow a variety of coral (even some SPS). However, I don't know if the spectrum makes the corals look their best.

My experience at looking at lots of peoples evo's (including my own) is that unless you just run the tank on the actinic setting (which isn't bright enough to be on all the time for coral growth), the corals can have a washed out brown appearance. They just dont seem to pop like other lighting can make them do.

I'm debating getting a radion XR15 if I can persuade my other half she doesn't like the canopy. We already spend so much trying to get our tanks looking the best and if switching lights can make the colours pop, maybe its worth it...

Blue is important for corals.

Some run white very low.

I run my white no more than 24%.

That's what gives you coral pop. The tank will look dark no matter what light you choose when running blues high and whites low.

10k to 20k causes growth in corals. 

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm ok with the stock light. I do wish it would haveca few more blue led, but corals do grow! An acan went from 3 heads to 7 in a matter of months! Same for zoas and gsp (but those would grow under anything lol)

ThisPlaceIsAPrison

I'm committed to the stock lights on the budget Fluval EVO.  My SPS is growing, and growing well

December vs. April look at that birdsnest

SPS.jpg

sps april 2018.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2018 at 5:18 AM, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

I'm committed to the stock lights on the budget Fluval EVO.  My SPS is growing, and growing well

December vs. April look at that birdsnest

SPS.jpg

sps april 2018.jpg

This makes me want to add another piece of birdsnest to my tank. Mine grew fast as well under stock lights and was one of my favorites.

On 4/8/2018 at 11:46 PM, Clown79 said:

Imo.

A lot of Ppl go overkill on lights.

Then they run them on low percentages.

I would like to be able to pump a bit more light in the tank, But really I want the color I see with the LED arrays with more than just white and blue.  Some of the higher end lights just do a better job of bringing out colors and making the corals pop, even when set at similar PAR levels to the stock light, I suppose I could save the $$ of a light and squirrel it away for a larger tank though. =P

• 2 weeks later...

I am just starting with my EVO and have had it set up for 3 weeks.  Water chemistry is good but my one fish, a small springer damsel just went missing after we did an coral safe ich treatment.  I cannot find any evidence of him but I am pretty sure the emerald crab, hermits and bristle worm enjoyed him.  (that or the cat somehow managed to fish him out of the opening in the middle of the night with no light on and not displacing the hood.)  I am wanting to set up[ a timer system and put a second small blue LED light under the hood so I can have periods of blue before and after the 12 hours of white.  Any suggestions? also what type of schedule do you have your lights on for you EVO's.

35 minutes ago, Bribear said:

I am just starting with my EVO and have had it set up for 3 weeks.  Water chemistry is good but my one fish, a small springer damsel just went missing after we did an coral safe ich treatment.  I cannot find any evidence of him but I am pretty sure the emerald crab, hermits and bristle worm enjoyed him.  (that or the cat somehow managed to fish him out of the opening in the middle of the night with no light on and not displacing the hood.)  I am wanting to set up[ a timer system and put a second small blue LED light under the hood so I can have periods of blue before and after the 12 hours of white.  Any suggestions? also what type of schedule do you have your lights on for you EVO's.

I just got mine setup with a ReefKeeper Lite. It turns the main light on and off and I have the fuge light on an opposite schedule. I would like to get some blues added so I could have them on after the main light goes off again.

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I have a fluval 13.5 the only problem with the stock lights is my tank water gets heated up. How do you keep your tank cooler with this stock light?  You can't really put fans on it since it has a hood.  I don't want to buy a chiller since they are too expensive.  How do you get away with the stock light without heating your tank water up?

On 8/15/2019 at 12:08 PM, JulesW said:

I have a fluval 13.5 the only problem with the stock lights is my tank water gets heated up. How do you keep your tank cooler with this stock light?  You can't really put fans on it since it has a hood.  I don't want to buy a chiller since they are too expensive.  How do you get away with the stock light without heating your tank water up?

I'm thinking about adding some LED strips latter so I needed to address heat now. I added 2 40mm fans to the feeding opening. You can see pics in my build thread. I may have to start saving up for a Reef Keeper Lite to simplify controlling everything.

On 3/6/2018 at 3:42 PM, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

The fluval is cheap already so tearing it apart costs nothing compared to buying a IM tank for the similar price.  People upgrade their light because the stock light makes corals look like crap but to each their own =P.  

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • Yes On my EVO 13.5 I have my media InTank basket in chamber one. Did not have anything in chamber 2 so put the protein skimmer in it.  Cut the cover over chamber two so skimmer can fit.  I have a small fan I got from Walmart that blows on low over the chamber cover.  Keeps my tank at 77.7 to 78. When I turn my fan off at times and the light is on my tank will get to 79.  Having the fan on keeps temp at 77.5 

856129D4-5513-4D0E-AAA0-1FBF2DFB7528.jpeg

DE54CB07-E002-450C-BE44-8A7D05977B17.jpeg

• 2 years later...
On 8/23/2019 at 11:04 AM, MHNano said:

I'm thinking about adding some LED strips latter so I needed to address heat now. I added 2 40mm fans to the feeding opening. You can see pics in my build thread. I may have to start saving up for a Reef Keeper Lite to simplify controlling everything.

I put a small marine land chiller on my 13.5 - it has worked like a charm