Pod Your Reef

Nuvo 20

LogicalReefs

LogicalReefs

Hi everyone. Tank was started about a month ago. Upgraded from a Nuvo 10.  List of parts below. 

Hardware: 

Innovative Marine Nuvo 20

Kessil a160we

Ecotech MP10qd

2 Sicce 1.0s with 2 spin streams

Ecotech MP10qd

Hydrofill TI ATO

2 Innovative Marine custom caddies

Aqueon 50w heater (78.5 F degrees)

Rock and sand:

about 15 pounds of Haitian rock

about 10 pounds of sand

live stock:

1 occelaris clownfish

1 royal gramma

corals:

Duncan coral

plate coral

red goniopora 

acan

D40345E1-25AC-4472-B0FB-A502A1D0CA61.jpeg

6F87C1CE-8E62-4143-B4C9-F30976B1C114.jpeg

578F7538-1D47-4D6A-8E0C-499556567633.jpeg

24B06082-6D03-49C4-8524-3F7E47E5CA79.jpeg

• Like 1
LogicalReefs

I plan on adding a chato reactor to this tank. Would help export nutrients and keep things pretty clean. Already bought a reactor from lfs. Just need a good led strip and some chato and then I’ll set it up.  

F6C0BA18-CD30-4DB4-A9B7-2D6F73996A12.jpeg

15 hours ago, RocketClownfish said:

Hi everyone. Decided to put my Nuvo 20 on here. Tank was started about a month ago. Upgraded from a Nuvo 10.  List of parts below. 

Hardware: 

Innovative Marine Nuvo 20

Kessil a160we

Ecotech MP10qd

2 Sicce 1.0s with 2 spin streams

Ecotech MP10qd

Hydrofill TI ATO

2 Innovative Marine custom caddies

Aqueon 50w heater (78.5 F degrees)

Rock and sand:

about 15 pounds of Haitian rock

about 10 pounds of sand

live stock:

1 occelaris clownfish

1 royal gramma

corals:

Duncan coral

plate coral

red goniopora 

acan

D40345E1-25AC-4472-B0FB-A502A1D0CA61.jpeg

6F87C1CE-8E62-4143-B4C9-F30976B1C114.jpeg

578F7538-1D47-4D6A-8E0C-499556567633.jpeg

24B06082-6D03-49C4-8524-3F7E47E5CA79.jpeg

I like the scape..... makes it look huge! :)

LogicalReefs
44 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I like the scape..... makes it look huge! :)

Thanks. It’s some of the best rock I’ve seen. For a $11 a pound it better be “something” lol

• Like 1
LogicalReefs

Did about a 3.5 gallon water change. Corals are a bit closed up. Thinking of trying another salt mix. Been using Fritz RPM but I don’t know if there is a better one I could try. Thoughts?

DFC60C26-5630-4B5C-A065-6D99451963A4.jpeg

LogicalReefs

Ordered my led strip from Marine Depot. Should be in before the weekend. I’ll probably have the chato reactor set up next week. Would a protein skinner also with the chato reactor strip too much out the tank? I plan on buying the eshoppes nano skimmer since it fits nicely in the second chamber I believe. 

LogicalReefs

Not doing the algae reactor. First off, the reactor started leaking on the bottom part. Also the light I ordered is extremely hot (100F tester with laser temp gun, so I don’t want to risk cracking the reactor or raising my tank to high temp levels.

My nitrate levels were extremely high also. At 80ppm! I had no clue it was that high. My corals and fish looked fine. My Duncan looked in shock from a Sherman rose anemone issue I had but I thought it was just recovering. I only feed usually every other day and not that much. Also feed corals like 1 or 2 times a week. 3-4 gallon water changes also. Tank looked fine. Did a water change and got things down to 40ppm. Will do another water change to get things down a bit more.  Maybe one of my hermit crabs died? I had 2 and don’t see them anymore. Also would 2 turbos snails, 2 nassarius snails, 2 hermits crabs, one clownfish and a royal gramma have a big bioload for this tank?

• Like 1
LogicalReefs
58 minutes ago, vlangel said:

That tank should be fine with 2 fish, 2 crabs and 4 snails.

Thanks. Hope everything starts to get better. My other tank parameters were fine. I do neeed to by a alkalinity test kit though. I’m using API test kits right now. 

LogicalReefs

Did 2 water changes of about 4-5 gallons for two days. Siphoned the gravel and blew off the rocks with a turkey baster. The algae on the bottom is starting to go away slowly. Also moved my mp10qd to the right side on the bottom to help keep the gravel cleaner and also moved a rock to the other side. I think it looks a little better this way.

E981392B-355A-471A-88EF-FD50FE010B76.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
LogicalReefs

Any recommendations for new corals? I’m looking at more lps corals. An anemone I don’t really want right now cause I’ve either killed them or got sucked into a power head lol. I’m not the best anemone keeper. 

LogicalReefs

New aquascape. I’m really like this one a lot and used the old rock just rearranged. The piece on the left is cemented together. Going to make for really great places to put lots of corals :P

0A07B621-DC92-40E8-A635-884B86E857A3.jpeg

4493DD62-C42D-42BF-8902-1A35CA1E7FEF.jpeg

• 6 months later...

@LogicalReefs do you think the high nitrates were the results of using the Haitian rocks? I was about to set up my Fluval 13.5 again with some beautiful Haitian rock but noticed how covered it was with organics and dead algae.. I’m going to do a week long bleach cure to try to get as much of it off but did you do any sort of curing before putting it into the tank?

1 hour ago, reefsenpai said:

@LogicalReefs do you think the high nitrates were the results of using the Haitian rocks? I was about to set up my Fluval 13.5 again with some beautiful Haitian rock but noticed how covered it was with organics and dead algae.. I’m going to do a week long bleach cure to try to get as much of it off but did you do any sort of curing before putting it into the tank?

No. I just put everything in the tank. Tank is now broken down and went back to my Nuvo 10.

11 minutes ago, LogicalReefs said:

No. I just put everything in the tank. Tank is now broken down and went back to my Nuvo 10.

How long before you started seeing the diatoms blooming and how long did it last for?

44 minutes ago, reefsenpai said:

How long before you started seeing the diatoms blooming and how long did it last for?

Honestly the diatoms started maybe a week after the tank was setup and then stayed until I tore it down probably. I think I had this tank up for like 2 months before I went back to the Nuvo 10. But a lot had to do with poor maintenance and feeding heavily I believe.