Cultivated Reef

Experiences with pistol shrimp, what are your favorite species? (paring and non-pairing)

jesseatam

I’ve been contemplating getting a pistol shrimp since I lost my hitchhiker one in a pseudo tank crash. Just curious as to people’s experiences with different species in regards to temperament, ease of care, how active it was/how much time it spent in the open, and things like that. Some species I’ve been thinking about are the tiger, Randall’s, Japanese, and bullseye pistol shrimp.

I have a randall's pistol shrimp paired with a randall goby. They paired within about 5 minutes of being in the tank together and have dug a load of tunnels under a rock island. Great fun to watch and habe.

• Thanks 1

Randall's pistol shrimp are the easiest to pair with any shrimp goby!  I have had many different pistols and tigers are probably the second best because they are easy to find.  Tigers can be more picky about the goby.

See the other post for my video with my pistols and goby

• Thanks 1
LogicalReefs

Tiger pistol shrimp and a yellow watchman goby. Great pair. Had a pair and they paired up almost immediately. Had to get rid of the pistol though cause it kept stealing all my frag plugs on the ground lol. 

• Thanks 1

Randall is your best bet... small, peaceful and not too destructive. Great with yasha goby and red banded or dracula goby. Most pistols hide always unless they feel comfortable with a goby . 

• Thanks 1

I had a pair and then my goby died, I tried to feed the shrimp with tongs but I don't think that was successful.  It gradually ate/killed my snails - so I would make sure you always have a goby to help the shrimp. PS  - I know technically gobies don't feed the shrimp but in my case deaths appeared to happen more when the shrimp was alone.  Just my experience.

• Thanks 1