SaltCritters.com

Hawkfish in nano?

Gobydude777

Within the next year I will be setting up a 20 gallon. My questions are: will a flame hawk out grow 20 gallons? And how can I keep one with a clean up crew?

My red flame hawkfish killed all my shrimp: first the pep, second the fire and third the cleaner. Its their natural prey. I think he even killed my emerald crab and some of my snails. The hawkfish does get along well with other fish.

If I were you, I would not get a hawkfish if you want to keep a cleanup crew and shrimp.

i currently have an arc eye hawk in with many different shrimp, crabs, and a falc perc. he has not once acted aggressive except when the clown invades his pace then they'll chace each other around. but thats what fish do. they are one of the most best suited hawks for a reef.

ashley

Arc-eyes grow to 5" and will defiantely be a PITA when 5". All shrimps, except MAYBE a big cbs, will be eaten. It doesnt really mean they are one of the best nano suited hawks if a 3"er doesnt do any harm to his tank mates yet. I have even read arc-eye hawks giving really bad times to big (bigger than himself) tusks or groupers. Just wait till he is a bit bigger and then you will see the real face of this monster.

Dwarf, flame, long nose, pixy... those are the only haws i would put in a nano tank unless its a 30gal with aggressive fish like eels and lions

have you keeps them before with shrimps and other critters of the like? ive had friends with alrge arc eye and they didnt kill off the shrimp or crabs. they may have a go at them if they are introduced after the arc eye, but other then that they are a good fish. generaly they wont get bigger then 4 inches in an aquarium. as we all know fish in the wild usualy get bigger then those in an aquarium environment.

as we all know this hobby isnt an exact science, if it was alot of us would be terribly rich by now ^_^

ashley

If kept in right conditions all fish gets as big as they do in nature. The actual question of this thread is actually if a flame hawk will out grow 20 gallons so discussing an arc-eye hawkfish thats in your tank is not very suited but i highly recommend you to do a search in reefcentral, you will see that your friend's arc-eye is not big enough ;)

Archived