ReefCleaners.org

Return bulkhead too low

TotesMaGoat

Bought this tank used, was so cheap didn’t bother thinking about height of return as it was already drilled. Original owner ran return over the top. I don’t want to but I could. What’s the best option to prevent too much back flow into the sump? Calculated water volume is about the same as the capacity in my emerald 26.

seal it with a bulkhead and drill a new return?

run my return plumbing to rim height then down to bulkhead w/ airline to break siphon?

lower my overflow box an inch or so? (Tank level already going to be 1.25”)

tank is a 50 breeder by the way

FE64DE3D-32AE-4BB6-A421-A606488FD620.jpeg

Mine never went below the loc line. Otherwise maybe you could add an elbow or something pointing upwards that is more trustworthy and add a loc line to that?  That should be a simple fix.

40485755752_11bea1c5d0_z.jpg2018-02-27_10-24-42 by aaron M, on Flickr

On the back side you could do what I did and have an inverse U shape built into the return line that extends just above where you want the water line to drain to - with a tube coming out the top which acts as your siphon break.  It looks tall in the picture but it's just barely above the rim when you look at the tank head on.  I drilled to small holes in the rim and used a zip tie to secure.  Alternatively you could stick a cable organizer base to the back and use that to secure your zip tie to. 

also see this post