SaltCritters.com

Biocube 29 Filtration Upgrades

AquaticNic

Hey Guys!

So after about 4 years now, I have decided to return back to the hobby and built yet another reef tank, except this time a nano! I am using a Coralife 29 Biocube for the main tank, and I plan on doing a lot of modifications to really get that picture perfect reef built.

I know this hobby takes TIME and PATIENTS, and since my tank is almost done cycling (about 1-2 more weeks to go before CuC is introduced) I thought I would continue my focus on the basics and build of the tank. I want to create a clean environment for my tank mates, and a lot of that starts with filtration. 

After some research, I have decided on what I think* I want each chamber in the cube to hold. Chamber 1 will house a Hydro SlimSkim Nano Skimmer and temp monitor.

**Chamber 2 is where I need some advice.**

I’m thinking about a media basket containing filter floss at the top, followed by Purigen and then Chemipure Elite. There is extra space for some chaeto moss, but reviews have been hit or miss from what I have seen, as far as really doing anything. Thoughts?

Chamber 3 houses upgraded return pump for more water flow and heater. 

My tank has about 35lbs of live sand, and about 20lbs of live rock. 

As far as water chemistry, does this filtration system pack enough punch to do the job? I know nanos can only hold so much, but I truly want to gradually build a beautiful full reef tank housing a variety of corals and fish.

Thanks Guys!