Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Why are the diatoms in my 10 gallon aquarium not going away?

Cody Mutz

Hello reefers, I have had my 10 gallon saltwater aquarium with just dry rock, a korrelea pump, and Carib sea ocean direct live sand  running for almost 2 months now. Currently my cycle is nearing completion with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 20 nitrates. About 3 and a half weeks ago I had noticed a diatom bloom starting to form. After doing some research I learned that diatoms feed off of silicates and nitrates. Also, I learned this is a natural part of the cycle *Note I am using RODI water from my local fish store.*Also note I do not have a test kit for phosphates and my water flow is fairly good. Knowing that I had elevated nitrates I assumed that I would do weekly water changes to get rid of the diatoms. Once 3 weeks went by of doing water changes of about 35%

the diatoms began to get worse. I began to get worried and watched as many videos as possible regarding diatoms. Many of the people said to just let it run and naturally it would go away while others said to siphon the Sand and get a clean up crew. I even asked one of the employees at my local fish store and he said to just let it sit and the rock would naturally turn from brown to green and then to purple. At this point I am extremely confused not knowing if I should just let it run eventually allowing the green algae to grow causing burn off in the diatoms or if a should try to brush it off of my rock or get a clean up crew. Some people said that hermit crabs are a good viable option but on the down side they eventually kill each other. In addition I believe one guy on youtube  said introducing a clean up crew isn't a good idea because they can introduce unwanted and nasty stuff to your system. I had heard of a blackout technique causing the diatoms to completely go away, but that doesn't make sense being told that they are part of the process of a natural cycle. Right now the diatoms are far worse than before an I have been letting the system sit occasionally toping it off with RODI water to fill the water line. If anyone could help that would be fantastic thank you.

We have had an extended diatom bloom in our new reef as well, running for about 2 1/2 weeks now, although in our case, we are running pretty dirty with high nutrients.

However, after just one day with no feed, the "cloud" has begun to clear...

Cerith snails will get down on some diatom, especially in the sand! 

As far as CUC introducing unwanted stuff...not in my experience, but anything is possible!

Test your RODI, that may be the source...many LFS are really bad at changing filters, etc.  I expect this may also be contributing to our issue...saving for that RODI unit while I spend an obscene amount of money on new lights...lol...my priorities are always in line!

If all else fails, you could go the route of bacterial introduction:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JMI003W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From what I have read, many people have had nothing but great success with this product.  We have a container on the way, I'll update after the first dose...if it arrives before we starve the diatoms out!