Innovative Marine Aquariums

HELP! Any hope for tank with no power?

Snicklefritz

My question Is how long can this tank sit here with no power And still be saved? Or should he just start over. Here’s the story.

So one of my friends set up a 29 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump around the beginning of January and about 2-4 days ago the power was cut to the house. He got a job offshore and has to leave for weeks at a time so I keep an eye on his tank while he’s out. He was running chaeto and just put miracle mud in to try it out. I was checking on the tank every 2 or 3 days when I could manage to get there, and when I got there one night the power to the entire house was off! It was a terrible scene his little clown fish was so disoriented and was sadly nudging his best friend mr Anemone who was closed up tight. It was probably the saddest situation I’ve been in so far in this hobby. I didn’t even have to move rock to get him out. Also he had about 6 or 7 frags and a 2 snails that I managed to rescue and put in my tank and safe to say they all survived and are recovering well. The temperature to the tank was set at 78 and when I got there the temp was 74. The temp in the area had been between 68 and 80 those past 3 days before so no telling how long it been off. I’m gonna estimate 3 days  now. 

If you rescued all the critters I would just start the tank over when he gets back. How long stuff can live varies on the tank itself but flow is important and I would say stuff will start to go downhill after a couple days max. 

• Like 1