ReefCleaners.org

RO/DI Water System Suggestions

GrumpyDaddy68

GrumpyDaddy68

Hi all,

I'm new in the forum(hobby) and I would like to ask all the experts what RO/DI system would you recommend to a beginner. I'm planning to build a 24Gal tank either All-Inclusive or maybe a small sump (~10-20 gal).

I'm guessing my consume won't be that high and I was looking at this RO/DI system in particular:

AquaticLife Twist-In Compact 4-Stage RO/DI Unit, 100 GPD

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,

+1 Spectrapure

The one you linked doesn't look like it uses standard carriages which means you are limited on what you can use (not all cartridges are created equal) and may increase expense over time. Source water is another consideration, I used to use a cheap ebay unit, it worked fine but our tap water was 40TDS so it didn't have to really work hard... my cheap ebay unit may have struggled if I didn't have such good water to begin with. I moved to another state and now use Spectrapure, love it.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

+1 Spectrapure

The one you linked doesn't look like it uses standard carriages which means you are limited on what you can use (not all cartridges are created equal) and may increase expense over time. Source water is another consideration, I used to use a cheap ebay unit, it worked fine but our tap water was 40TDS so it didn't have to really work hard... my cheap ebay unit may have struggled if I didn't have such good water to begin with. I moved to another state and now use Spectrapure, love it.

Exactly.

My water is horrible. It's hard, tds in 400+, chlorine and chloramines are used.

Chloramines are very hard to remove, standard carbon doesn't remove enough of it and the remaining damages the membrane and enters into the clean water.

So I built a 5 stage, sediment, reg carbon, chloramines carbon, membrane, di. 

I have to replace sediment ever 2-3 mnths, carbon every 3, di 3. 

I don't find much difference between units company to company, they are all basically the same. I went with a VERTEX PURATEK as it was the most affordable and does the job I need it do to.

I have a 3 stage system that I added a 4th to for DI. Water goes in around 15ppm and comes out between 0-1 before DI and 0 after DI. 

Buy the one that you can afford that works best for your needs. I feel the filters and DI resin used is more important then who made the unit as they are all basically the same basic thing.

Our municipal water is glacier and snow fed so not much in it, and they only use chlorine and a small amount which helps me. I change the sediment on average every 3-4 months ditto with the carbon. DI last a very long time here so hardly ever have to replace it.

Probably not the most cost effective/efficient, but for someone in a rental/apartment/dorm room ect. the Aquatic Life twist-in RO/DI Filter has worked well for me.  Super portable and easy to use and maintain.  Good for nano tanks that require smaller volumes for water changes.  

https://www.marinedepot.com/Aquatic_Life_Twist_In_100_GPD_4_Stage_RO_DI_System_RO_DI_System-AquaticLife-AK01371-FIRORD-vi.html

GrumpyDaddy68

I checked and my city uses chlorine to treat the water.

I also just tested the tap water and the number was 145ppm.

What system do you recommend for a 24gal tank consume.

Thanks