Pod Your Reef

Spider web on glass

dandelion

I think I’ve seen a post here asking about something similar. I tried googling but can’t find that post anymore. Can someone help? Thanks!

It looks like there are tiny red polyps growing on the branches too. The zoas on the frag plugs don’t seem too bothered by it.

a8VT6Y.jpeg

sFpq9C.jpeg

12 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Interesting specimen. It's some type of colonial hydroid, though it has much more robust, and better developed polyps than any I have ever seen.

I suppose that's bad and I should scrape it off then?

It looks like it has some polyps of some sort on it... interesting creature. Even if it may or may not be dangerous it may be a litte invasive. That is what makes this hobby interesting anything can come in on live rocks. Is it possible to contain a bit? 

9 hours ago, dandelion said:

I suppose that's bad and I should scrape it off then?

That's your call. Generally, hydroids can become invasive. They irritate corals, and kill baby fish. However, yours is really interesting. I'd personally try and isolate it to grow it out. Maybe get yourself some skeleton shrimp and feed your tank with those.

Agree it appears to be some sort of hydroid...  Never seen that particular species before but some I've also never seen before popped up in my tank over the past few weeks.  It's odd because I haven't really added anything to the tank in quite a while!  Personally I think they're interesting and they tend to not last very long in my tanks.  I had a cool cluster of digitate hydroids a while back that I was pretty fascinated with (especially since they were right by the glass).

25429870747_647f712289_z.jpgIMG_20180214_213523 by aaron M, on Flickr

It took them quite a few weeks to grow to this size. They started off from frags then slowly spread onto the glass. Interestingly the Zoa frags open up everyday when the light is on and don’t seem too bothered.