Cultivated Reef

fish for a 10 gallon

DravenXavier

Well, time has come for me to start trying to decide on livestock for my 10. I want to try to have everything picked out before I get the tank finished, so I can work the aquascaping around the needs of the fish/inverts. Two that I very seriously consider are a purple pseudochromis (already in my other nano, but I want to move him over later) and a yellow clown goby. Any other suggestions are welcome. I'm thinking maybe something a little more drab colored like a scooter blenny (or maybe a little more colorful like a chalk basslet). Or do you know of any small fish that hang out in the open more? One time in the store I work at we had some kind of gudgeon that just sat mid-water in a school of three...just kinda floated there until it was feeding time, then they schooled back up afterwards. I haven't been able to find them since. I was thinking a clown, but I really don't know. I won't have an anemone, and I'm afraid having a clown might tempt me too much to get an anemone anyway :-P

oh p.s false perscs swim all day till the lights go out, then they lay on the sand and sleep, then the lights come on and there at it again racing around then tank! They swim like crazy!

I dunno. I'm not a clownfish guy I guess. We'll see, but I like the look of gobies and blennies much more. Though I'm open to all suggestions right now until I start narrowing things down

ummm i can't say anything else then beacuse thats all i have(a pair of clowns) and i don't want to talk about only stuff that i have read about compaired to others who actually have the fish:P! But good luck! I myslef wanted to get a yellow watchman goby(heard they have great personality's) but i might not be able too, cuz that might be too much of a bio! But good luck, and welcome to this wonderfull hobby, but beware....it will change you forever:P!

rock12

sidjam, how big do the six-line wrasse get? I do like them, but I've never really considered wrasses because most get large.

and TJG, I was thinking about that. But at the store, I always have a problem with them hiding all day lately. Though now that I think about it, I've only had that problem with the purple firefish, not the usual cheaper ones.

If i were you i would go with a clown goby, a firefish and a shrimp goby. IMO dottybacks are really aggressive for nanos especially when its time to mix with gobies. shrimp, fire and clown goby mixture is perfect for a nano reef because firefish is a swimmer and has good colors on. Clown gobies stay on rocks and corals. Its nice to watch his symbiotic relationship with corals. Shrimp gobies stay on sand and its at least as cool to watch his symbiotic relationship with a pistol shrimp.

I know...but I already have a pseudochromis, and I really don't want to get rid of him, and I'm getting rid of the other tank when the 10 is up. So I dunno. Maybe I'll get rid of him. We'll see. I might just try, and if he gives me problems, then I'll get him out of there.

max length of a six-line is 3 in. they stay small. i agree that the pseudochromis might be too aggressive in a 10 gallon with other small fish. even though it is not as bad as the other dottybacks.

i like the look of gobys the same as you, i am gettin a yellow watchmen and a pistol shrimp so far whenever they get to the lfs, then after i get those in the tank i am gonna go with a green clown and maybe another shrimp goby or possibly one of those red headed gobys, only gettin 3 fish regardless and i know one of them is going to be a yellow watchmen

that's cool. I was thinking that, but none of the wholesalers my store uses have the gobies right now (plenty of pistol shrimp though), so if they get them by time I'm ready to add them, then we'll see. We did get something REALLY beautiful today...does anyone know anything about fire clowns? :-P

i have the green clown goby, firefish, Hi fin red banded. everything seems to be working out fine, still no pistol shrimp yet, i dunno when they are ever going to get that in

If you're looking for something that's neat to watch, I had a 3 piece set of bar gobies. They never got more than 2 - 2.5 " and always stayed in the water column. Granted, I don't know how well they'd do alone, or in a small tank, but they were neat to watch schooling around my 55 Gal!

Just my $.02

Archived