SaltCritters.com

Diy led

sprite

I need to build a LED light for a 12 long with sps. Can someone recommend who I should go with? I'd like to buy a kit and assemble myself if possible. I was going to go with blueacro but it looks like they were not selling any more. I haven't been able to get on their website in 3 days and the FB page isn't updated at all.

Nanobox sells retrofit kits and individual arrays, and are also excellent quality, if a bit more expensive. I'm thinking three would work for you... you're doing this for a 36" Mr Aqua right? 

Do you have something in mind for heatsink(s) already, or still thinking of what to use?

Shame about blueAcro, I've got two of his pucks over my 20 long and love them. Hope he isn't shut down.

Yes it's actually aquamaxx 12 long but same tank. I was going to go with a 20-24" heatsink. 24" had been hard to find though. I mostly see 20". I was ready to finally order from blue acro but can't get the site to load then last night I see they are no longer sponsors on a couple forums including here

I run a 20" heatsink (RapidLED premium enclosure) over my 30" 20 long, and wish it was wider/longer I would go for at least a 24" heatsink for a 36" long tank really.

Have you looked at the MakersLED heatsinks? I have the 6" on my planted tank and love it. Very industrial looking, and a tad pricy though... but very versatile. They come with fans, mounting screws/nuts, and endcaps-

https://www.ledsupply.com/led-heatsinks/makersled-heatsink-kit

• Like 1

Thank you for all the suggestions.. Diy led is new to me. I know the wiring won't be a problem, I was an electrician in the Marine corps for 8 yrs... If just the components I'm not sure about

Ok I ordered from blueacro yesterday. I have 3 of the half pucks and their driver coming. A24" makers slim heat sink with 2 fans from makes led. And a 48v 2 amp power supply from Amazon. I will be running with a reef angel. I'm going everything gets here Saturday. The heat sink shipped today and led is supposed to ship tomorrow.

A06BDB9C-436D-499E-AEAB-7F509A621C61.jpeg

4D1FCA9B-BA51-4BE4-A551-3D9C2DEA52B7.jpeg

AEB452F4-E63D-43D4-82F1-CB5868DF8D1D.jpeg

Nice! Did you order the fan shrouds too, or going to run them "naked"? I was considering trying a slim with some PC fans, I'm not a fan of the current selection on fans for them yet otherwise, simply because they aren't easy to replace or upgrade due to the odd design. They use the same fan as the rapid heatsink enclosures.

Sorry I didn't get to your PM sooner, I don't get notifications for some reason...

I didn't see the fan shrouds till after my order shipped yesterday. I will prob get them but wait and see if I need anything else they might have and order together

CarolinaShoreReef

Nice. I'll stay tuned. My lfs is going to be selling their AI primes so I might not even do a diy but if they don't I've got this. Are you going to make videos or keep it simple with a log on here?