SaltCritters.com

Flame Prawn goby in Spec 3 ??

Dell

Hey guys, 

Is a Fluval Spec 3 too small for a Flame Prawn goby?  I can go bigger, I just want to know what's a good size for such a small elusive fish,

Thank you,

Dell

• Like 1

I kept some in a 12 gallon nano cube. They ranged over about half of the display area.  I think a 3 would be enough room territory-wise.  However, they have really small mouths and some never take to prepared foods, so a 3 gallon might have trouble keeping a big enough pod population to sustain them without a fuge, especially if it's a new tank.

I would actually recommend keeping them in a slightly larger display with  a peaceful, calm fish that stays in the top half of the tank, to signal to them it's safe to be out. I saw mine most when I had a bimaculatus blenny.  I think the fact that the blenny was out and about not getting eaten gave the gobies confidence to be out more often. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sublunary said:

I kept some in a 12 gallon nano cube. They ranged over about half of the display area.  I think a 3 would be enough room territory-wise.  However, they have really small mouths and some never take to prepared foods, so a 3 gallon might have trouble keeping a big enough pod population to sustain them without a fuge, especially if it's a new tank.

I would actually recommend keeping them in a slightly larger display with  a peaceful, calm fish that stays in the top half of the tank, to signal to them it's safe to be out. I saw mine most when I had a bimaculatus blenny.  I think the fact that the blenny was out and about not getting eaten gave the gobies confidence to be out more often. 

Thank for the reply, a dither fish is a great idea, I will try that. What is your experience with them jumping? I know any fish can jump but Ive read a few people say these are jumpers, was that your experience as well?

Yes, I had almost forgotten how many tines I had to fish them out of the back chambers. I would definitely recommend a lid. They are super tiny, so if you go with a mesh top make sure it's a fine mesh.

So, I stressing about what to do. I ended up setting up a Fluval Evo 5g with some circulation mods, stronger pump and media basket.  I used LS and LR, media and a clean up crew from my 40g, so I've had a minimal cycle if any at all.  I covered the hole in the middle of the Evo lid with a fine mesh so I think I'm good. But, I'm stuck on that if I get a Flame prawn goby (which I really want) I would like another fish in case the Flame is a no show most of the time. Should I get another fish? or another Flame  prawn ( 2 would be great visually) but not sure if that's smart.  I looked into the blenny's and the research shows they get too big for a 5g.  What do you guys think???  If not another Flame, then what? Also, if I go with another fish will 2 different goby species get along?

• 3 years later...
On 2/16/2018 at 12:29 PM, Tamberav said:

How about a Two Spot Bimaculatus Blenny? They are tiny and should be fine in a 5g.

11 hours ago, Oakvillereef said:

I’d go with a Helfrichi fire fish. 

But would you recommened one of these along with another fish in a 5 gallon?  It seems like that would be overstocked.  I don't have experience with blennies, but I imagine two fish in a 5 gallon would be too much.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, aclman88 said:

But would you recommened one of these along with another fish in a 5 gallon?  It seems like that would be overstocked.  I don't have experience with blennies, but I imagine two fish in a 5 gallon would be too much.

Idk I kept 3 in my 5g. Two would probably be better. I had a goby and two tiny species of blennies, smaller than tailspots.