SaltCritters.com

Desktop Nano Reccomendations

AlexM630

Hi there!

I'm not exactly new to reefing, but haven't completely kept up with the developments in AIO and desktop systems over the years. Most recently I had a 2.5 gallon pico in New York when I lived in Manhattan from 2011-2015, and then while living for a couple years in Miami my partner and I had a Fluval Spec V that we ran as a nano reef with corals and inverts (tried fish once or twice with mitigated results.) Besides those smaller tanks, I had a BioCube in college (I want to say a 14 gallon), a 43 gallon mixed reef growing up, and a 200 gallon FOWLR tank at a restaurant I once owned.

We just moved back to NYC (Brooklyn - the DUMBO neighborhood) a couple of months ago and have a live/work situation with a little windowless office off of our main corridor that is ripe to be spruced up with a tank. It's a decent size (about 100sf) so originally I considered a JBJ 45 gallon that could be more of a mixed reef with some slightly larger fish and a lot of mods to create coral growth. However, the more we thought about it (the room doubles as both office and art gallery) it felt like we'd be cramming things in, and the startup costs/effort involved seemed like maybe too much at this point since we own a quickly growing business and weren't sure how much time we'd have to dedicate to large water changes, etc. After thinking about it, we decided to focus more in the 10-15 gallon range; something that could sit on our long, shared desk at the middle where it meets. This would allow us to actually look at the tank while working versus having it at our backs, and also position it far enough away from electronics in the room like printers and WiFi routers that the chance of a spill would be a lot lower.

Right now I'm considering the JBJ 12 gallon Nano Cube or the Fluval Sea Evo XII. Each has a shape that offers pros and cons, and I'm curious what others' experiences have been with these (or others in a similar vein and size.) The main criteria I'm looking at are:

1) Quality - we can't have a tank springing a leak and causing major damage in a rental. Some of the Amazon reviews of the Fluval scared me a bit, but I'm not sure if that was just due to how they were shipped or something.

2) Reef-friendliness - I'm totally okay with adding modifications and don't expect the perfect tank out of the box, but I do want to make sure that making those mods doesn't break the bank or create really intense tasks.

3) Ability to have 2-3 fish - if this isn't realistic, at least 1-2 would be nice. We never got to have fish with the V and I'd love to have a couple.

4) Adaptability - in keeping with the reef-friendless, we want to make sure that the tank lends itself well to improving lights, water flow, media rack, and adding heater/chiller if needed. Adequate space in rear chambers would be key, and I'm also curious if it's even possible to improve the lights on the Nano Cube since they're built into the hood.

5) Variety of corals - I realize this depends heavily on the lighting and flow mods, but I like to keep a variety of corals: acans, zoas, euphyllia, and have had mixed luck with SPS (some have done incredibly and some not so well.) I want to make sure that as my reefkeeping skills increase, the tank has the headroom to add in some exciting corals.

Side concerns are the usual - noise (preferably not noisy), ability for o2 exchange to occur, stable water temps, etc. The room is very stable in and of itself and seems to neither get hot or cold. If anything I could anticipate that a chiller might be handy in the summer.

I've attached a photo of where I imagine we'll be placing the tank (intersection of the two desks, where the little blue ceramic Pokemon is right now.) Any first hand experience with these two tanks, major caveats, thoughts, or even prods in a different direction would be very much appreciated. I can't wait to have a tank again and am itching to get started!

Thanks so much in advance, looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

IMG_1418.jpg

• Like 1

Keep an eye on Oceanbox Designs, they currently have a 10, and according to Facebook, something new coming soon in the AIO department.

A lot of reefers have had great success with the Innovative Marine Nuvo 10

I am personally in a similar quandry, only I am having a difficult time deciding on what to build instead of an AIO!

So, following!

Thanks, guys! The Red Sea Nano Max looks great but I feel like it might be a little bulky and nix my desktop idea.

I like the 10 Nuvo for its price, but the display looks a little small. Maybe they just have large pieces in it? I imagined I'd get a little more room out of a 10-15 than I would from my Fluval Spec. The OceanBox one looks nice too, I'm just wondering how much I'd have to invest beyond it since it is a little pricier.

Has anyone had any experience with the 20 NUVO Fusion? It's definitely larger than I originally thought but since it's horizontally oriented it might still fit as a desktop tank. I'm assuming those stock lights are crap but that doesn't seem too difficult to alter.

Thanks, everyone!!

PS - Wiliam, is that a Cirneco dell'Etna in your avatar? Beautiful dog!

9 minutes ago, AlexM630 said:

Thanks, guys! The Red Sea Nano Max looks great but I feel like it might be a little bulky and nix my desktop idea.

I like the 10 Nuvo for its price, but the display looks a little small. Maybe they just have large pieces in it? I imagined I'd get a little more room out of a 10-15 than I would from my Fluval Spec. The OceanBox one looks nice too, I'm just wondering how much I'd have to invest beyond it since it is a little pricier.

Has anyone had any experience with the 20 NUVO Fusion? It's definitely larger than I originally thought but since it's horizontally oriented it might still fit as a desktop tank. I'm assuming those stock lights are crap but that doesn't seem too difficult to alter.

Thanks, everyone!!

PS - Wiliam, is that a Cirneco dell'Etna in your avatar? Beautiful dog!

Pharaoh Hound, but I love Cirnecos