Innovative Marine Aquariums

My Plan, tell me if i'm crazy

Vijay

i have a eclipse 15gal tall tank that i plan on converting to SW. my main problem is Lr the one place where i can find good stuff just sold out and won't get more till christmas the other place doesn't have verry good pieces and they have no coraline just green stuff. o i'm thinking maybee no lr i'll have a shallow 3/4'' substrate of aragonite reef sand, a sanders skimmer, a fluval internal filter, along with the eclipse filter and bio wheel. The reason i'm thinking no lr is i found a ceramis rock that with swim through holes that ooks like lr by topfin i think it'll look ALOT better than a pile of lr. i plan to have a fish only tank untili get better lights and become experienced enough for corals. i plan to have a ocellarias clown, a yellow tail damsel and an eel goby.

printerdown01

Be careful when you get the yellow-tail... Make sure the one you are being sold isn't a yellow-fin which is much more aggressive (looks almost identical) and will peck the living daylights out of you eel goby!

Also I say go with real LR. You will be very happy with the life that comes on them, and entertained by the critters. Not to mention that the period of low light will give your coralline a great chance to take off! If you can't find LR locally consider ordering on-line... I have heard nothing but rave reviews of "Gulf-View" live rock. If you do a search you will find several articles mentioning them, as well as links to their site (I think nanoreefer53 mentioned that it is like $130 for 30lbs -sorry if someone else mentioned it and I'm giving someone else the research credit :( ). You will find that the critters that come on the rocks will "activate" your sand and bringing life and increasing the effectiveness of your sand bed’s filtration. These critters prove to be very handy when it comes to creating a stable tank environment!

Is there any way to tell the difference between the yellow-tail and fin another thing i should mention that i'll only beef up the lghting and add some sofr corals if i feel i cna handel their maintenanse after trying the fish only but don't worry the fish will be safeit's just that i;m not sure i'm comfortable with feeding and supplementing for corals

Originally posted by Vijay

The reason i'm thinking no lr is i found a ceramis rock that with swim through holes that ooks like lr by topfin i think it'll look ALOT better than a pile of lr.

Yep, you're crazy. What did you just say?:D ??? :D

Is there any way to tell the difference between the yellow-tail and fin another thing i should mention that i'll only beef up the lghting and add some sofr corals if i feel i cna handel their maintenanse after trying the fish only but don't worry the fish will be safeit's just that i;m not sure i'm comfortable with feeding and supplementing for corals

Dont reef beyond yer abilities. and for the sake of your reef, read read read read and then decide to add something, but have patience... this is NOT a keeping Up with the Jonses hobby.

Archived