Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Sun Coral or some Yellow Polyps?

bravoreefer

I bought this TINY frag at the LFS for $3. I was hoping it was sun coral beign I found it sitting at the bottom of thier LR tank. Is this sun coral or just some yellow polyps?

8797suncoralfrag.jpg

Decent deal depending on where you are at a great deal. They spread readily and do have a nice yellow color. If you have it in the tank with the pep though, you better get it where he can't get to it, especially if you have witnessed it eating aiptasia. My pep (my error) eat mine. I think it was because he loves aiptasia and they resemble it so much.

i don't think it's a good deal. yellow polyps are very bright yellow when they're unhealthy. the light yellow in your pics look like what i'm talking about.

well you'll also notice that the very bright yellow ones are smaller than most yellow polyps. if your polyps are normal sized or large then i guess they just needa little bit more light... no big deal.

So bright colors are not good? So from my picture you are saying that they are unhealth OR health? Anyway, I have wasted more money on other stuff before, atleast it was towards reefing and not my computer.

IMO your pic is of unhealthy yellow polyps. the tentacles don't come out fully and the bright yellow color is due to bleaching. they're pretty hardy though. with good light and some feeding they should be able to make a full recovery.

• 2 weeks later...

So would you say that a yellow polyp that has a slightly browner than bright yellow tinge is healthy? My yellow polyps which I have had for over a year now extend fully but have a lighter yellow to brown look to them. I feed them often and they continue to grow all over my rock. I think that growth is a good indication of happiness. Keep an eye on them and see if they start to spread on the rock. Also, watch your nitrates. I found that when I added some macroalgae to my refugium, my nitrates fell to zero. Good for my other corals but my yellow polyps hated it. I lost just about all of the polyps on the rock except for 3 polyps or so. I started feeding a bit more and my nitrates raised slightly. Havent had a problem since. Oh yeah one other thing. I found they are very sensitive to changes in light. Even something as simple as adding new carbon that changes water clarity has an effect on them. THey require a little time to readjust and then are good as new. My two cents...good luck with them.

Archived