Top Shelf Aquatics

Lumia 5.2 passive cooling

pfoxgrover

Would a passive heatsink like this work for a lumia 5.2 running at full power? They re rather large and have a heat pipe in the center.

Is so how big of a heatsink would I need, would one rated for a 150w led be sufficient?

What are the spacing for the mounting holes of the Lumia 5.2?

5a68dbbe606dd_heatsink.jpg.48c567a48f8363d17e1e2009e651dc2f.jpg

If you want to build for longer time then don’t use aluminum heatsink or you need to take care that the copper doesn’t touch directly the aluminum. (I’m not talking to paint the metals because it would significantly reduce the heat dissipation). As they don’t compatible together and can make galvanic reaction, it is definitely no-no. But as I know the chip of LED used to make from aluminum and they already soldered the chip to the copper...ask the vendor what he recommends under his warranty.

Some heatsink vendor use to give the maximum dissipation what can be match with the device maximum output. So as the lumia has 70W, the heatsink should dissipate 70W. For sure it needs perfect direct, metal on metal connection. Otherwise the LED will start to burn it self. 

I have not heard of this before. At first I thought you are talking about the copper heat pipe in the center of this heatsink but after reading it again I see that you are talking about  the copper board that the Lumia is made of. I assumed that all of the Lumia's sold are running on aluminum heatsinks are they not? That is all that led group buy sells and all I have seen anyone using. Has anyone had a problem? The main difference in the setup that I am after is avoiding the use of cooling fans.

I know that the heat sinks have a wattage rating but I think those ratings are basing that on more conventional LED lighting that might dissipate heat better than the Lumia? I don't know.

Does anyone know the mounting hole spacing?

Can someone from LED Group Buy answer my heatsink question? I can try an oversized heatsink first to see the operating temperature but I didn't want to guess and would like to avoid going crazy with size, weight, cost. etc.

• Recommended Discussions