ReefCleaners.org

Live fish found in my live rock

jrod90

The tank is an All-in-one JBJ Cubey, so it comes with a lid. I have a bit of a new problem though. Apparently, Hitch decided to jump into the filter area in the back of the tank. Any way short of emptying the tank to get him out?

Interesting idea about a rock from the ocean. I never thought about that. Where I live the water is pretty polluted, but on my next dive maybe I can get some a good ways off the coast.

get yourself a net that will fit inside the chamber. remove whatever is in there (pump, media rack...Go slowly and carefully so as not to stress him out too much.

Check your local laws about collecting from the ocean. Make sure you quarantine anything you collect and watch for signs of disease and parasites.

• Like 1

I removed everything, turned off the pump and filled it as full as possible. Sometime in the night, he jumped back into his side of the tank. Crazy fish. He seems to be just fine. He is swimming around happily and hiding anytime we get within five feet of him.

One more question, I accidentally left a curtain open and exposed the tank to some sun for a while. A bit of algae grew in the tank and he was very happy to clean it up. Is there any other harm to an aquarium other than heat and algae to be in the sun for a bit?

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, jrod90 said:

I removed everything, turned off the pump and filled it as full as possible. Sometime in the night, he jumped back into his side of the tank. Crazy fish. He seems to be just fine. He is swimming around happily and hiding anytime we get within five feet of him.

Hopefully he'll settle down and get use to you after a little while.

One more question, I accidentally left a curtain open and exposed the tank to some sun for a while. A bit of algae grew in the tank and he was very happy to clean it up. Is there any other harm to an aquarium other than heat and algae to be in the sun for a bit?

Some corals, Acans etc. may not like so much light but for the most part it is very natural and some algae growing is a great source of food for Hitch. Just watch it and trim/remove if it starts to get out of control (the algae, that is).

You're the second incident I've read on this site to get a fish-hitchiker on their LR. The first guy also brought home a LR which housed a blenny, although his was a jet black in color (if my memory serves me correctly). Hitch is adorable, but as he grows, he will need a larger tank. Still, I think he should be ok for now. You can get some seaweed-based pellets for him to try. Hikari has a seaweed-pellet, if I'm not mistaken. 

Post more pics of Hitch when you can - we'd love to see more of him! :happy:

• Like 1