Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

which Mag pump for 29g

mapv281

I just bought a bunch of equipment to upgrade to a 29g and a 10g sump/fuge, the only thing is that the lfs guy told me to go with a mag 3 pump with scwd system, i was originally going to go with a mag 5 or mag 7, he said it was too much flow, which would be the right pump for my 29g? i don't want to open my mag 3 in case i have to return it, i also have another option.

the other option is to keep that, plus put in my 2 left over hagen 201 ph's, and have the elbow flows from the scwd plus the 2 powerheads flowing in there as well.

i also have a sealife systems 100 prefilter/overflow and a scwd, so a mag 3 would still be enough? the height would be exactly 3', that would bring it down to about 275-300 gph (20% off the scwd) taken off.

I would think that a mag 3 going into a scwd would lose a lot of pressure and you would probably not get as much flow as you would like. However, it really depends of the type of corals you plan on keeping. I would go with a Mag 5 or 7, probably a 7 if you planned on sps.

I would think that a mag 3 going into a scwd would lose a lot of pressure and you would probably not get as much flow as you would like. However, it really depends of the type of corals you plan on keeping. I would go with a Mag 5 or 7, probably a 7 if you planned on sps.

ok but will my over flow be able to keep up with the mag 5? another question is which MH retro fit kit is the best for my 29g?, THANKS for all of your help!

Check the ratings on your overflow box and buy the largest pump that you can to match it up. I have a mag 9.5 on a SCWD on my 40 gal and I wish i went with a larger pump. The SCWD adds some head pressure to the pump.

DRZL - are you a fellow shoe geek? just noticed the 1's on your avatar..... i'm wearing the 3's right now.... Not too many shoe heads are reefers too!

yeah i think i'm going to go with my orig plan, mag 7, why do i even listen to the lfs guy, although, he sold me a cheaper pump which that is not to his advantage due to the fact that my first choice(s) were more $$$.

I have a mag 9.5 on my 30 through a scwd, I have it going full open I like the flow using the large flat loc-line nozzles - it creates great random flow that really makes my corals open up - the scwd really does cut back flow though - without that it really put out a lot of flow....

see i don't even know what the GPH for my overflow box is, it's a Sealife Systems PF-100, if I knew I would be sure to get the mag 5 or 7, if anyone of you knows this overflow box please let me know

Undertheradar

I have an eheim 1250 on my 10g...300gph...but more like 250 at the head I have. I still use another powerhead on a wave timer for an extra 200gph! I would say it depends on how many outputs you want...the more outlets, the more flow needed to keep the 'turbulence'. On my 20" cube, about 34gallons, I am using a return on an SCWD like device (like a scwd but with an electric motor) and an eheim 1262....900gph (prolly about 700 after the head and the back pressure of the SCWD). I am also using a closed loop that returns through two ports across the bottom after a SCWD, and that will be a 300gph pump. All in all I will have 1000gph or more in a tank slightly larger than your 29gallon. If I were you I would get the Mag 7...maybe the 9. Of course, I wouldnt get a Mag in the first place. They are very cheap...noisy...break often (impeller replacements are common)...run hot...and consume more electricity than say...an eheim of the same capacity. Check it out. An eheim 1262 is 900gph at 80watts. Mag is 950at 93watts. The eheim runs cooler and quieter...I have a few now that have been running non stop for over 10 years...they say "made in W. Germany". Think about it. I never replaced an impeller...never hear a peep. My favorite piece of equipment.

i heard about Eheim and i thought about getting one, but the only thing i could find here was mag pumps, so i went with one, anyways i just exchanged the mag 3 for a mag 7, i calculated everything and it will be around the 480-500 gph range, just where i want it, well now i have to get my baffles cut out and set everything up and going, thanks all of you for all of your help! :)

anyone out there with some MH suggestions?

Lakerfan..not to hardcore but I like keepin my kicks fresh...I have a bunch of rare airforces...paris, throwback jordans..Got any good sites to buy authentic and cheap? PM me

White%20Grey%20Gucci%20Low%20Less%20AF1009G%20.jpgB):D

Originally posted by mapv281

I just bought a bunch of equipment to upgrade to a 29g and a 10g sump/fuge, the only thing is that the lfs guy told me to go with a mag 3 pump with scwd system, i was originally going to go with a mag 5 or mag 7, he said it was too much flow, which would be the right pump for my 29g?

Dude, I have two mags running in my tank and I still don't think it's enough flow (both are in the 10 gallon sump underneath). I have a 7 for cycling the water and a 5 running through the chiller.

Archived