SaltCritters.com

Poorly designed JBJ 8 Gallon Biocube, any Ideas?

JoeR

A couple months ago this tank went on sale at my lfs, and I wanted something a bit larger than my 3G anyway so I snagged it. Figured I couldn’t go wrong since I like the JBJ 3 Picotope so much. Well it turns out this thing is VERY poorly designed IMO. The pumps are underpowered and contribute to my cyano problems. They get clogged all the time because of the layout of the media basket further reducing the flow. Overall it just does a poor job of capturing detritus and such. The seal around the panel separating the tank and filter area came apart so water flows around. In general the tank just doesn’t function efficiently and is poorly designed, which is making it difficult to keep the tank clean and healthy.

So, if this was your tank, what would you do? Would you upgrade the pumps? Spend $35 on the intank media basket? Add a power head? How do I keep the pumps clean?

Here’s a picture, it’s just a lame tank I’m trying to make idiot proof since it will be going to the family business and I won’t be able to babysit it much. That Kenya is good as GONE as soon as I find someone who will take it btw! Gonna add some more softies like toadstools and call it good. Just want it to look purdy for them!

https://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_Nano_Cube_RL_Rimless_Biotope_Aquarium_8_Gallon_Nano_Cube_Aquariums_Tanks_Under_10_Gallons-JBJ_Lighting-JB00982-FIAQNCNTUT-vi.html

D49CA5CC-4DCF-4351-A697-57922D0440F0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...