Pod Your Reef

Coral Whip-thing.

RedSkaNite

My new leather coral is sending out these long hairlike whips. They are spiderweb thin and covered with hairs that are even thinner. Every few seconds it retracts one (there are three) and then sends it out. It is really beautiful to watch.

The problem is, these things are about 10" long!. One brushed accross my candy coral frag and it retracted in an instant. They brush against the star polyps all the time and don't seem to bother them at all. Are these things sweeper tentacles? Will they harm the stuff in my tank? It is hard to move stuff out of their way when you have a small tank....they are huge.

Soft corals don't have sweepers. Leathers are funky like that. They spew out all kinds of mucus and gunk. Maybe someone else can tell you exactly what it is.

could be a coeloplana. i think it's the larval stage of a comb jellyfish or something. they send out the strands with little comb teeth to snatch food from the water column. they're harmless.

i've seen them often on softies (esp. sarcos). they're usually on the rocks where the corals are anchored but a couple of times i've seen them on the coral itself. i'm not sure if there's any type of commensural relationship but the frequency of finding them leads me to think it.

Archived