ReefCleaners.org

Frag tank plumbing help needed

kirtdog

I purchased a 30 x20 x10 acrylic frag tank from a guy for a very good price. When I purchased it, I had some concerns about how it was drilled. the overflow is in the right hand corner and there is a hole drilled in the bottom for a 1" bulkhead. In the back of the overflow, there is a hole drilled for a 1/2" bulkhead. The guy said that I could use lockline and just run the return up and over the overflow. Technically, i could do that but I would prefer not to. I considered putting a 90 going up and using that as an emergency drain like in a herbie setup and either drilling another hole for the return or going over the top. 

What do you all think? Would by emergency drain idea work or would there be an issue as the main drain is 1" and the emergency would be 1/2". I have attached a few pics to show what I am working with. 

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

IMG_6138.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1c9d.jpeg

IMG_6137.JPG

Not sure what your asking?  I guess the reason for only one drain on bottom was for strength and drilled in back for inflow from pump. Which to me is best setup. I just bought a bottom drilled cube and it came with a premade drain setup. I would just take out some grooved squares at top and run line lok thru that. Just remember about having syphon breaks.

You could also use it as a Em. drain just make it higher then your other drain and then bring inflow in a new hole? or over the top if ya want with a U tube.  But are really going to be away for so long for clogging to make a issue but then again that's why its a em drain.