SaltCritters.com

How to reduce ph fluctuations during nighttime hrs?

Cody Mutz

Hello reefers!! I am new to the salt water aquarium hobby and was wondering what lighting schedule is best To reduce fluctuation in ph during nighttime hours. Some things to consider are the my aquarium is currently in the cycling process. Also I have my display tank light which has 3 different settings 1.blue 2.blue/white 3.white. Also to mention I have my chaeto max light for my refugium. Thank you ?

flatlandreefer
6 minutes ago, Cody Mutz said:

Hello reefers!! I am new to the salt water aquarium hobby and was wondering how I could reduce the swings of my ph during nighttime hours. Currently I have my display tank light which has different settings 1.blue 2.blue/white 3.white. Also to mention I have my chaeto max light for my refugium. Thank you ?

Run your refugium light at night to counter act the ph drop that happens when your display lights go off. 

To be blunt, controlling pH fluctuations is not necessary.  In fact, I use decreasing pH during lights out to dissolve aroggonite to make up calcium, alkalinity and trace minerals.

I posted a thread on Advanced Forums at Reef Central and said as such.  There is no opposite light cycle in nature, why should I do it in my reef tank.  Much todo about nothing.  It is one of those things that is repeated enough to present it as absolute truth.  After much discussion, it became apparent that pH did fluctuate on reefs of the ocean.  Most fluctuated between .2and .5pH units.

• Like 1