ReefCleaners.org

Future Fish Plan

Larry the Lobster

Larry the Lobster

Hello,

I have a 30 long all in one tank (with heavy chemical filtration and a skimmer). I also have an ATO and an AI prime HD light. Currently I have 2 small-medium sized Percula clownish. I am thinking of having 2 black axil cromis, a tanakas pygmy wrasse, a sleeper goby or other sand sifting goby, and a fire fish. this will be done (if I get good feedback) in the future adding the fish slowly.

Larry the Lobster
39 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

Avoid the 2 chromis. Just a single, or some other type of fish. If you get 2 chromis, you’ll just end up with one, most likely.

Thanks I wanted chromic because they are active. Can you sudgest another active fish that is fun to watch. And do you think the wrasse will do well or not. 

Hmm... Imo a firefish and that wrasse might be a bit risky with the clowns and any other "active" fish...  Firefish, by my experience, are skiddish. Especially if the clowns are already established. Not sure about the wrasse but my understanding is that they're also quite shy.  I would look for other semi-aggressive fish like Cardinals, basslets, some damsels, etc... You only have a 30 AIO so your initial plan (to me) seems aggressive.  Good luck!

Brian whitman

You’d be safe with a cardinal they are pretty much always visible and no risk on fighting. Maybe a small dottyback, I just got an orchid dottyback and he totally keeps to himself. You could also maybe do a small Tang, I have a small Tomini in my 34 g but one day will probably have to return to LFS or find another home. 

33 minutes ago, 1.0reef said:

Don't get a sand sifting goby, most species get too big for nanos are a a PITA.

Agreed - they dump sand everywhere. and IME they're not particularly aggressive eaters when it comes to competing with clowns and such.

Larry the Lobster
15 hours ago, ajmckay said:

Hmm... Imo a firefish and that wrasse might be a bit risky with the clowns and any other "active" fish...  Firefish, by my experience, are skiddish. Especially if the clowns are already established. Not sure about the wrasse but my understanding is that they're also quite shy.  I would look for other semi-aggressive fish like Cardinals, basslets, some damsels, etc... You only have a 30 AIO so your initial plan (to me) seems aggressive.  Good luck!

14 hours ago, Brian whitman said:

You’d be safe with a cardinal they are pretty much always visible and no risk on fighting. Maybe a small dottyback, I just got an orchid dottyback and he totally keeps to himself. You could also maybe do a small Tang, I have a small Tomini in my 34 g but one day will probably have to return to LFS or find another home. 

14 hours ago, 1.0reef said:

Don't get a sand sifting goby, most species get too big for nanos are a a PITA.

15 hours ago, xthunt said:

I've been having an itch for a tail spot blenny lately. Supposed to be a character. 

Hello do you think that the percula clowns Will be able to deal with more aggressive tank mates like the long nose hawk fish, coral buety angelfish, and a few cromis. And do you think having more cromis means that there will be less aggression focused on one fish like an Asian arowana comunity and do you think that having other semi-aggressive fish will keep the cromis more distracted. 

Ps. Do you have any suggestions of any other fish that will do good in a semi aggressive tank. And are canary fang blennys good or not (oh and I will have corals and more invertebrates in the future)(and if I get a tang wich one should I get)

A neon goby might become lunch to a hawkfish, and I'd also have to say no to a tang in your size tank. Another good dottyback option is an orchid dottyback, you also should look into basslets like the royal gramma or black cap. Fang blennies are more peaceful so I'm not sure how one would do in a semi-aggressive tank, I have a blackline blenny in QT currently and he's not the most aggressive eater but I've only had him for about a week so it might be too early to judge.

You're asking good questions - but I still think your stocking plan is really aggressive.  By that I mean you don't have a ton of space in your 30 AIO.

A few problems develop as you add more fish...

1) Territory becomes an issue.  One symptom of overstocking is that a less dominant fish will get beat up

2) Feeding time.  Less dominant fish will often not feed aggressively enough to survive long term

3) Maintenance.  More fish = more maintenance required and less of a "buffer" should something go wrong (meaning the ecosystem is more susceptible to issues)

Because you have 2 aggressive fish already in there your options are limited.  The following may help you narrow down your choices:

- If you want another open swimmer then it should be at least as large as the clowns, semi-aggressive, and of a hardy variety.  This would include cardinals, basslets/dottybacks, some wrasses, some damsels (alleni, yellowtail, and talbots are some of my favs - not chromis though), dwarf angelfish, hawkfish, etc...  Note that some of these could be incompatible with inverts/nip corals.  Also note that getting a larger fish like a dwarf angel would probably put you at or near capacity.

- To reduce aggression you could go for a fish that hangs in the rock or on the bottom (in other words something that occupies a different part of the tank).  Something like a sixline wrasse or a goby/blenny would fit here, as would the hawkfish to an extent.  I would be wary though that some of these fish may require heavy feeding as you'll need to make sure some food gets past the clownfish and ends up near the bottom or on the rocks. 

-  I would avoid any tang in this size tank.  You would essentially be forcing yourself to have to upgrade in a year or so or find a new home for the fish.

Just take your time - keep asking questions and avoid impulse purchases.  Good luck.

• Like 2

An orchid dottyback would be good. It's the least aggressive of dotty's and stands out.

Dotty's are active fish.

Bicolor, starry blenny, or midas blenny. These have lots of personality and aren't skittish fish.

Cardinal fish, royal gramma, baskets are other good options.

For myself.  I didn't like having a sand sifter in my tank.

The constant turning of sand created dust storms and particles floating everywhere which irritated  my corals