SaltCritters.com

14 Gallon Bio-Cube

Crazy_Reef

So I am looking to setup my 14 gallon bio-cube. I have not had a reef tank in almost 2 years so I figured I should get one setup as I loved mine. So I wanted to get a stocking list made, and some other questions answered. So first off stocking list.

Fish -

Two Clowfish (Mocha Gladiator, and a Domino)

Pygmy Anglefish

Two Firefish

Orange Stripe Prawn Goby

Coral -

Several Acans

Mini Plate Coral Garden (aquascaping for it)

Zoa Garden

Torch and Hammer Corals

Clean Up Crew -

Blue Leg Hermit Crabs (12)

Red Tip Hermit Crabs (5)

Turbo Snails (2)

Cerith Snails (5)

Gear -

14 Gallon Bio-Cube

JBJ Unibody led 54w

Wave Maker (Un-Know Brand)

Heater (Un-Know Brand)

Thermometer (Digital, but may Upgrade to full on Thermostat)

This is a Simple Overview, but will be Updated

3 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Seems like a good setup!

I’m guessing you are upgrading the return pump too?

Most likely. The one I have is sort of old. Something I left out of the list is a protein skimmer which I am gonna be getting a new airstone for.

This guy is extra salty

Is it a reefglass or the coralife one?

i personally had the “biocube”  one but I found that it kept over skimming and was dropping my salinity. (I modified it so it had an external collection cup).

i have the “new” led 32biocube

43 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Is it a reefglass or the coralife one?

i personally had the “biocube”  one but I found that it kept over skimming and was dropping my salinity. (I modified it so it had an external collection cup).

i have the “new” led 32biocube

It is the biocube one by coralife. I had similar problems, but I was able to adjust it just right so it would not over skim. What would you receive mend for the return pump? A new stock one? Or one of another brand?

This guy is extra salty

Well at first I had a hand-me down from my brother-in-law, a rio 400L worked great but I took off the 90elbow cause it greatly reduced flow and used some flex tubing in its place

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Well at first I had a hand-me down from my brother-in-law, a rio 400L worked great but I took off the 90elbow cause it greatly reduced flow and used some flex tubing in its place

Sounds good. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. In the past I have gone half way with my setups, and really want to make sure I hit everything this time.

A question I have is since I want firefish (as I have never had them before) is a creative way to prevent them from jumping as I have heard they will do that. This is because with my light the top of the aquarium is open.

This guy is extra salty

They make a clear vinyl mesh that can be custom (DIY) made to your aquarium.also some companies have made ones that fit  but look kind of “bulky”

• 3 weeks later...

I went with an MJ900 to upgrade my 14g return and get excellent flow. Forget the Angel. They tend to be argumentative. 2-3 fish for a tank that size is sufficient.