ReefCleaners.org

I was stupid...

P0seid0n

Made a dumb a$$ mistake, hooked up my Mini to the wrong side of my LDD board, sent 48v in instead of 12v.  There was popping, and smoke....  ?. The good news is my LED’s all still light, bad news is the Bluefish is cooked. 

I’m guessing the output on my LEDS to be 100%, with no PWM signal, and the LDD board from rapid that includes the step down module to bring my 48v to 12v, would that be correct?  Is the controller likely the only thing I fried, or did I cook that new LDD board somehow too?

Any guesses for me? 

2A333D2C-3A92-4F5E-B528-348D4EEB567E.png

• Sad 1

Spencer, thanks so much for the help.  I am having issues now that must be related to my screw up.  The rapid led board has some jumpers on it labeled “short for pull Down” if I leave those open, I get 100% on both channels. If I close those jumpers, I get control with the mini, but if I drive both channels to 100% both go out. It looks like my power supply is on the fritz when it’s running under a large load.  

I know now enough to be dangerous, but don’t have the tools to accurately diagnose what I did.  I guess I’m happy my LED’s are working, but I must have screwed up something else. 

SpencerShepard

I would guess that your power supply isn't large enough for your setup.  Not really my area of expertise though...best to contact Rapid. 

On 12/27/2017 at 4:45 PM, P0seid0n said:

Spencer, thanks so much for the help.  I am having issues now that must be related to my screw up.  The rapid led board has some jumpers on it labeled “short for pull Down” if I leave those open, I get 100% on both channels. If I close those jumpers, I get control with the mini, but if I drive both channels to 100% both go out. It looks like my power supply is on the fritz when it’s running under a large load.  

I know now enough to be dangerous, but don’t have the tools to accurately diagnose what I did.  I guess I’m happy my LED’s are working, but I must have screwed up something else. 

If you need a pull down buy the 10K resistor and this will solve one of your issues. The power supply sounds like it is to small. Generally a 24v or 48v will be enough for stands 6 - 14 LEDs and then matching your total watts needed. 

• Recommended Discussions