Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sun coral

Styxnpicks

I love feeding my sun coral at 3 in the morning. I feed it when its out. which is very seldom, but I was getting ready to hit the hay and I saw every last polyp was open. had to hurry up and feed it. now for my question why in the world would they name it sun coral if technically its suposed to receive little or no light?

looks like the sun?

i only feed mine during evening hours when lights go out too.

i wish they'd poke out 24/7... that would be a sight to see :)

I've heard of people who do feed their's during the lighting period. They say that the coral's can sense food in the water and if there for long enough will open up irrespective of whether it's light or dark to be fed. If this is done on a regular basis they are supposed to open up regulary during light periods looking for food.

I've never tried this but a few claim to have successfully done it. Mine get fed at night time too. :blush:

I feed mine during the day. Usually around noon. I feed it in a bowl floating inside the tank. I feed in in a bowl so that I won't pollute the rest of the tank, because boy this thing can eat. Sometimes its partially open at this time, sometimes not. Either way I just toss a small piece of frozen brine or squid in there and they all open up within 15 minutes. Then they all get fed. After feeding, I dunk the bowl for a quick second to get them back into the main tank without ever being exposed to air, and thats it. Now they are usually open to partially open for hours. Also, they open up in the evening by themselves about 2 hours before lights out.

But be sure not to over feed them. They will just keep eating and eating and eating, only to spit food out back into your tank an hour later. I'm still trying to figure out that right amount of food.

Archived