Innovative Marine Aquariums

sps tower

matt the fiddler

matt the fiddler

so 3 bottles of epoxy, about 45 pounds of marshall rock [3 pieces- the 1st 2 go seamlessly together !], 100 rubber bands, tile, patience, patience, frustrations after my first epoxy that was "waterproof" discentergrating underwater.. the first stage of my new tank upgrade is done... here is a sneak peak. acros will be growing on the top with monti caps leafing out as it goes down.

this will be in my 55. so what- i still have a nano :)

coral%20tower2.jpg

reef%20tower.jpg

the tile will be hidden under the sand bed. :)

matt the fiddler

did i mention i can barly lift that thing into my tank it is so heavy?

and yes- bubble wrap is a great spacer when positioning for epoxy jobs

holyherbiness

LOL!.

That thing is HUGE.

better support it very well

looks like it could break off at any moment (marshall rock is highly porous. My marshall rock breaks in my hand if i carry it by one end only.)

If it gets knocked on the side too heavily, I would say that it could very well snap.

Then again, i'm used to nano sized rock, so maybe it owuld be sturdier.

matt the fiddler

i am going to put another shoe of epoxy wiht expoxy vat #4.. and for that shoe.. i am going to mix it with sand.. to get the epoxy cement rough- etc. for some more volume on the shoe.. rubber bands will probably stay on for a week. the 100% waterproof workable underwater grade epoxy has that long of a cure time.... as opposed to 12 hours from the waterproof that falls apart under water...

this rock is from marshall.. but isn't the super fradigle stuff like the rest of my marshall batch- that will be the base of the other side of my tank... also, the thicker marshalls hold together a lot better.

that think looks sweet matt, can't wait to see it covered in frags.

I think it might smash the BB on that tank if it fell over tho, so be careful :)

-skeletor-

have you tried threading fishing line? that can help keeping those together with minimum visuals.

that base looks a little smallish still. watch out for water flow dynamics just like wind).

otherwise, that's a cool looking setup. another reason i can't give up the traditionals for only nanos. give us updates! B)

man - I wouldn't sleep at night worrying about that thing! - looks cool though. Fishing line (as mentioned above) may be an idea, particularly around the top. I imagine attaching frags may be a bit tricky too.

matt the fiddler

FYI the rubber bands are temp. no fishing line. no upper support. 100% base support :) got a few of my sps frags.. most of my good stuff is still in indianapolis.... will post pics here as it comes- i got a major southdown storm now. no more work tonight

• 7 months later...

Archived