ReefCleaners.org

nano cube deluxe

chrishei

i bought a old nano cube and was ging to get a 32 watt retro fit kit to gie it better ligts but i'm moving to a 20L for 130 bucks i'm getting 130 watts with a moon light and the tanks are cheep and it's allowing for alot more livestock, just an idea tho

No news w/ the NanoCube Deluxe...and no personal experiance w/ the NanoCube. However, I've heard of a lot of prob with people getting a good amount of lighting on it w/o cutting up the hood a lot. To the point where I would rather get a 10g or a 20g.

My next tank will be a 10g and it'll cost me about $350 (+/- $30) to get it ready for coral. Complete w/ 70W 20k halide, stand, Aquaclear 300 refugium, live rock, 3" sand bed and a couple PH. To me that's better than getting a $100 system (online not including shipping, can be more at LFS), gutting it, and retrofitting more PC light to it. Not to mention a stand is another $50 for it (take 30 off my 10g if a stand isn't needed).

Don't get me wrong, I've seen a lot of nice NanoCubes, and its an AWESOME project tank if your a big DIYer. You can really get creative. For me it's just too much hassel. If you had seen me build my "canopy-stand" for my 0.75g you'd understand what I mean. LOL

Anyway, give it a shot. Even with the stock 48W lighting you can still have a lot of nice corals. Make sure you post pics when you do!

The Nano Cube DX 12 gallon won't be available unless last this month. Store in CA will likely get them first as my LFS isn't gettting them untl the first week of Oct. They are getting the 24 gallon Nano Cube in the first week of Dec....

I had a Nano-Puke for two months. I never really got why you should buy something just to hack it up. I was not impressed with it. I now have a 16 gallon AGA bowfront with stand, with Current-USA 2x40 PC fixture with moonlight and fan, Marineland mini HOB, Visatherm 50 watt heater and 606 powerhead. The cost of all this before LR, sand and coral...$350.00.

yea the dlx are going to be 160$ and have 2 24w lights instead off just one. I hear good and bad thinks about them. But way more good than bad. And most problems were easy fixs.

Ive heard good and bad about the nano cubes but from what i researched they have fixed the surface scum problem, increased stock lighting and redesigned the back filter chamber. I also like the way it looks. I hope only one day my tank can look as good as yours. I will take your recommendations and do some more looking before i purchase. thanks everyone

Nice tank BOBBYB323 im looking to buy one of those 16g bowfronts my 12g nano cube is runnig ok keep it in my bedroom

i want to put the bowfront in the living room so everybody can

see and enjoy it this hobby kicks @$$!

ps thanks everyone on this site and RC for their help.

Originally posted by bonecrusher71

Nice tank BOBBYB323 im looking to buy one of those 16g bowfronts my 12g nano cube is runnig ok keep it in my bedroom

i want to put the bowfront in the living room so everybody can

see and enjoy it this hobby kicks @$$!

ps thanks everyone on this site and RC for their help.

yea i was going to get a cube but im thinkin of going with the 16g bowfront instead.

Originally posted by trentupd

i have a 16 bow and a nano-cube.  the bow is way better, and i have a 150 watt 20k hqi halide on it!! :)  cant do that with the cube

got any pics? Im think of doing a 16 bow. For my first. Maybe with a 96w power quad? Still tryin to decide what i want.

Hi everyone. I ended up getting a 16 gal bowfront from petsmart for 75 bucks. I also ordered the coralife aqualight 96 watt power quad that shoud arrive tomorrow. Got an ac500 that im going to use for a refugium( Ive seen alot of DIY on these and like them.

I just won a bid on ebay for some liverock from walt smith in LA with some awsome pictures. If anyone has bought from them please let me know. The let you buy by the pound and even hand pick yourself if your in the area. Looks promising but for 20 lbs and shipping only 72 bucks with shipping to Las Vegas. Ill let everyone know how it is with hopefully some pics by next week. If you want to check it out heres there store address. http://www.oceanproaquatics.com/ they have a special only 2.99 a pound. Its suppose to be fresh stuff shipped to LA from original harvesting location.

Anyway Ill give posts as soon as I get the stuff.

Originally posted by jmt

Nano cubes weren't meant for DIY.  That's why they're "all-in-one" systems You are supposed to plug it in and go.

Um, ok if that's the case why don't they include a built in protein skimmer and some decent lighting? It kills me that this is a product from a company that specializes in aquarium lighting and yet the one aquarium they produce they can't put a decent lighting system in. I'm happy they're finally doubling the lighting (though I don't see why they couldn't have gone to 64 watts), but the lack of a protein skimmer is IMO a serious design flaw.

also the new one addresses the problems that people DIY'ed, so they are learning from people on this forum, I bet you. They upped the inlet to address the "teeth" mod, they upped the lighting, to address the retrofit mod (though only a bit) and they installed the two fans which are done very well, BTW. The ballast was fixed, it's now a diff. ballast and it's on the outside so no more problems of it getting moist and going bad. They even added the directional nozzle on the outtake, to address the surface scum problem.

I am running mine on stock 24 w, and yes, I can not have serious corals, but it's fine for some basic stuff. Dont you think the 48w will be a good start for more advanced corals?

im not too sure if they're really learning from their mistakes. They order from an OEM company so they probably just sprung another 10-20bucks/unit for a better model.

Originally posted by jmt

B/c there's no room.  Not everyone need a protein skimmer you know.  And I'm willing to bet, the bulk of nano cubes in this world are freshwater tanks.

Well the pictures on the outside of the box are clearly of a reef tank. That means to me that they are marketing it as an all in one reef tank solution. As such at the very least they should have included decent lighting right from the start. 48 watts is barely acceptable- and then only for a limited range of corals.

As for a protein skimmer there is plenty of room- all they need to do is rip out all those useless bioballs and sponges and use that sewage pit as a protein skimmer. They already have a pump for it back there- just attach an air hose to the intake, a couple baffles to direct the water flow and a cup to collect the skimmate- how hard could it be? Probably be no more expensive than the crap they have there now.

• 1 month later...

RAVEN FLIGHT,

there are many many beautiful nanocubes with full reefs without PROTEIN SKIMMER, its ok if you just learn from reading from a book without experience. there are people on this site, that have all stock and im sure there reef is far better than yours.

does it mean the nanocube is ideal for reef. definetly not. plug n play is the design. and purpose. but ignorance and narrow-minded thinging is not the reason why there are even people with the guts to have nano reefs and why this site exists.

your prob. stil stuck 20 yrs back where everyone said anything below 30 galls is not possible.

Ya know, to have a sucessful reef, lighting is not the only key to success. Protein skimmers are a plus if you know for a fact that you will have a high bioload. Knowing that I dont have any fish in my cube, I do not have a need for a skimmer. It all depends on that you plan to keep. An aquarium does not need to consist of light demanding hard corals to be considered a reef, or even have excessive wattage above the tank. There are plenty of low light hard corals out there too that one can mix and match to create a unique reef. From my personal experience, water quality,flow, and chemistry is much more important to keep in tip-top shape compared to lighting issues. As far as that goes, it is all in the placement of the coral in the tank that will determine how it will do...

Archived