Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

goby or blenny

JUMBO

I was at a resturaunt the other day, and it had 3 huge aquariums in it. While enjoying all the different kinds of fish I noticed a small(about 1.5-2") yellow goby i believe. I am not sure though. while watching this fish I saw it scoop gravel into its mouth up from the floor and swim around close to the floor. As it was swimming the gravel flowed out of its gills, it was amazing. I think it was cleaning or something but I am also not sure about that either.

If anyone could enlighten me about what type of fish this is and what exactly it was doing that would be great. also can it live in a nano?

I believe that is a sand shifter goby, they "eat" sand and then pass them out through their gills, filtering whatever food that is in the sand.

But I could be wrong too. :)

well, it was about a week ago when I saw it, but basically it looked just like that but a tiny bit larger.

I as of lately have been truly amazed by how much personality gobies and blennies have. I have a bi-color blenny and it is my favorite fish by far. I also have a neon goby in my other tank and he is very interesting as well. I am guessing a watche man goby has a lot of personality as well, but I guess every fish different, it just depends on if you get lucky or not.

is that your fish? and if so, does it sift up the sand? what size tank do you have?

Archived