Innovative Marine Aquariums

Red spot goby

Patrick17

Hi everyone, I've also asked this in my journal but may have more traffic and help asking here too. All being well, I can hopefully pick these up tomorrow after work

My partner found a pair of these red spot gobies (Trimma rubromaculatus I believe) in a spontaneous lfs trip on her way home. I convinced her to leave them for today with the aim of going back tomorrow after a little research this evening. 

I read that they are happy in groups and peaceful towards other fish but wanted to ask if I've missed anything? Are they suitable for a ~50gallon peaceful reef? Would they prevent us from getting a clown goby or are they prone to being picked on by blennies etc.? They would be the first fish into our tank 12 weeks after losing everything to ich 

Any help much appreciated :)

IMG-20171129-WA0000.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Orbela said:

Yeah petco carries them all the time. Just make sure to qt them. Had a couple along with other green banded gobies all peaceful. They do get ich so please qt. I would do hypo. 

Hi thank you for your advice. They were something I haven't seen a lot of in the UK, but over the last couple weeks have seen in three different LFS. I didn't go with them in the end, going to stick to my original plan of yellow clown gobies 

7 hours ago, Orbela said:

How big is your tank? You can do a combination. They don’t really use lots of space

It's 3 foot, roughly 47 US gallons. I wasn't sure if they would be happy with other gobies; I've read conflicting advice on keeping multiple gobies of the same and different species together 

A few people have had microgoby tanks, there's one on YouTube that must have 30 gobies in around a 50 gallon tank. Thy should be fine with most other small fish in such a large tank.