Cultivated Reef

Fluval EVO 13.5 lid + other ?'s

Mazzy21

Hi All,

Been looking for a standard 15tall tank but finding it pretty impossible to come across one, so I'm thinking about getting one of these Fluval EVO 13.5g before the sales are over. I also looked at the IM 14g NUVO and it's kinda weird as far as the dimensions of these two tanks.

IM 14g = 20x12x13

Fluval 13.5g = 22x11.5x15

So it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but those are the dimensions I have per the commercial website.

Anyway, the Fluval is cheaper and just an all around better deal I think (and I can't get over that the dimension are bigger even though IM claims the bigger gallon size) so I'd likely go with that.

My question is this: I am downgrading from a 29 biocube and have a Radion 15pro light. I LIKE tops on tanks so I want to use the stock hood if possible. Is it possible to take the light strip off and just set a light up to shine through that space? Or would I need to go lid-less to use my Radion?

Also, how hard is it to pull that junk out of the back? I literally JUST bought an AC70 from someone on here that I want to use for filtration so I don't want a media basket and I don't want whatever that dumb sponge is in the back that comes stock either. If anything I'll use the entire back as a fuge and the AC as my filtration (I have been a fan of ACs since they weren't expensive! LOL and I don't know why I ever went away from them).

• 2 months later...

You could do a screen top instead of the stock hood. I have a screen top on my evo. Or foe a bit more brs has a kit.

Removing the wall and chambers is easily doable. I did not do it on my evo but i have on other tanks in the past.