ReefCleaners.org

IM Nuvo 10 LED ramping options.

BrandonD32

I just downsized to a Nuvo 10. I am looking for options on an LED that has ramping ability. What are some choices to think about? I would prefer to keep it as cheap as possible, but will consider any light as long as it has what I want. Thanks in advance!

NanoBox Mini Tide has the smallest form factor and plenty of control (via Bluefish) - most commonly used here I would think (I used one previously on this exact tank), but also somewhat expensive ($300, but get gooseneck and controller).

Ecotech XR15 is a bit bigger, also plenty of control if using Ecotech's Reeflink (and more diode colors than NanoBox), but also more expensive ($400, plus $100 for mount and another $100 for link)!

AI Prime is sized between the 2 options noted above, either first or second in usage rate here, with good diode variety and relatively inexpensive ($200 plus $20-$30 for the mount), but also smartphone app controlled.

I run a Maxspect Celestial on mine and actually like it - four channels of control directly from on-board controller (don't like the need for a smartphone app), not too expensive ($200, and comes with mount), but bulkier than other three prior options.

Similar in form factor to the Maxspect is the Kessil A160 ($240, plus $35-$55 for mount, and another $100 for controller), or the smaller (both in price and form factor) Kessil A80 ($130 plus $25 for mount and another $100 for controller).  Some love the color rendition provided by Kessils, others not so much - I personally lean to the "not so much"... :)

Awesome. Thank you so much for the information. The two on that list that I have looked into are the AI prime and the Maxspect Celestial. I will check out the others listed. One major question about the Prime: To use the smartphone app do you need anything other than the light? Any sort of controller or anything? Or is the light and a phone the only thing needed?

Ok. I will have to look into them all. I can see the upside and downside to both the phone controlability and the built in controlability. I had a maxspect razor 130w that I liked. I was also looking into the 60w version as a possibility. 

I too like the Razors (running a pair of Gen 1's now over my pair of 40B's), but the Celestial takes up much less room, and although it is half the wattage (30W vs 60W), I think you would be able to keep most corals under the Celestial, plus there is no chance of "disco" with the Celestial... B)

I ended up buying an AI Hydra 26 HD locally. I know that it is way overkill, but it was a deal that I couldn't pass up. I will have it mounted quite high above the tank and adjust the intensity as needed.