Cultivated Reef

setting up an ATO in 14g biocube

NanoRox

Question:  I have an ATO that I plan on installing in my 14g nano cube.  I would prefer to put the two water sensors in the back sump (specifically chamber 3...The one with the pump in it).  My question is, will that work?  I ask because I notice the water line in the tank does not move much during the week but chamber 3 drops quite a bit in a given week between water changes.  In fact, when I turn the pumps off, the water line in the aquarium immediately lowers a good 1/2 inch when the water flow stops.  If I top the tank off based on the water level in chamber 3...will I be putting too much fresh water into the aquarium?  Being a closed system I don't see why it would cause a problem (water volume is water volume) but thought I should ask.

It absolutely does matter where you put the ATO sensor. As you've noticed, the pump pushes water from chamber 3 into the main display then it flows back into chamber one where it spills into chamber 2 and flows into 3. Therefore the water levels in the main display, chamber 1 and (for the most part) chamber 2 remain constant even at different volumes of water in the system, so as water evaporates these areas won't change in height and wouldn't activate the ATO sensor. 

Just make sure to a) turn off the ATO during water changes and b ) reset the height of the ATO sensor after every water change so that the system tops off to that level and maintains the salinity.

17 minutes ago, TechLobster said:

It absolutely does matter where you put the ATO sensor. As you've noticed, the pump pushes water from chamber 3 into the main display then it flows back into chamber one where it spills into chamber 2 and flows into 3. Therefore the water levels in the main display, chamber 1 and (for the most part) chamber 2 remain constant even at different volumes of water in the system, so as water evaporates these areas won't change in height and wouldn't activate the ATO sensor. 

Just make sure to a) turn off the ATO during water changes and b ) reset the height of the ATO sensor after every water change so that the system tops off to that level and maintains the salinity.

Thank you...that's exactly what I needed.  Chamber 3 is where I will put it.   Thanks again!